Question

Student
3s2r1i
Message 1 of 117 (34,978 Views)

HP Officejet 4500:Print cartridge problem: (tri-color) Refer to device documentation to troubleshoot

Yesterday we brought new catridges and installed in the printer. an error message which reads: print cartridge problem:smileysad:tri-color) Refer to device documentation to troubleshoot.

i have taken out the catridges out and re installed a few times but no use. have wiped the bottom clean(no globs of ink) what next? Won't print or scan or anything Thanks for your help? won't print

Student
gougonbarry
Message 2 of 117 (34,901 Views)

Re: HP Officejet 4500:Print cartridge problem: (tri-color) Refer to device documentation to troubles

having exact same problem only printer is new & barely been used..in fact only used the day we set it up for a test...help anyone?

Top Student
oldporscheracer
Message 3 of 117 (34,829 Views)

Re: HP Officejet 4500:Print cartridge problem: (tri-color) Refer to device documentation to troubles

I just experienced the same problem.  Ran out of black ink, installed new black XL cartridge & now getting error message saying there's a problem with the tri-color cartridge.  Re-seated cartridge several times, clean off contact points, turned off printer...all to no avail.  There's nothing wrong with the tri-color cartridge - it shows being 3/4 full.

Top Student
kelt514
Message 4 of 117 (34,771 Views)

I've used my Officejet J4580 for over a year. Had no problems replacing cartridges until now. When replacing the BLACK cartridge I get an error message, " Cartrige (Black) is in wrong slot". Of any error I would think this one would be the least likely. I went thru all the suggested solutions to no avail. The fact that it completely locks up all the functions on the printer makes me think twice about HP printers.  - I was miserable with a Canon All-In-One with ink cartridge problems. What printer will I choose next. Eni Mini Moe? The ink cartridges are the biggest money makers at our expense and the games that the manufacturers play.

Student
patcastle5
Message 5 of 117 (34,685 Views)

please help re this problem

Honor Student
WightMartini
Message 6 of 117 (34,397 Views)

Hi, did anyone get a reply to this question? I have the same problem and I do have authentic HP colour cartridge in my printer. 

Honor Student
WightMartini
Message 7 of 117 (34,396 Views)

Actually, I just opened the door and removed the colour cartridge, blew on it, and put it right back.  Printer worked. Odd. 

Top Student
kelt514
Message 8 of 117 (34,389 Views)

I finally bought a new Black HP901 cartridge for my printer and the problem got solved.

Student
jazzy99
Message 9 of 117 (34,331 Views)

started getting the same problem after I had replaced the black cartridge with an XL one on a J4680.  All original and new cartridges.  Had to remove the tri-color so I can print in black.  Suspect the issue all to do with the XL black cartridge which took 50mins to install.   Will replace the black cartridge with non-XL.   Would be nice if there was a solution that didnt mean on me losing out £20 for a cartridge

Honor Student
cgeorge77388
Message 10 of 117 (34,314 Views)

Same issue with my HP 4500 all in one. Indicator showed that color cartridge needed replacement. Purchased a new combo HP 60 set. Previous black was a 60 XL. XL black showed to have ink remaining so I only replaced the tri color and I get an error. Display shows an E and an ! mark above the tri color indicator. I have followed all the trouble shooting recommendations. Still nothing. I was thinking perhaps it was a faulty color cartridge but after seeing this post, I suspect that is not the issue!

We need some help HP!!!!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation