Question

Student
milesrx
Message 1 of 5 (218 Views)

HP Officejet 4500

My HP Officejet 4500 printer started to print overlapping text then said "problem with printer cartridge (black).  For a while could turn off and on and use.  I was using an aftermarket black cartridge.  I purchased a new  HP-92 black cartridge and get the message, " one or more cartridges has a problem". Both cartridge show error.  I can put in the after market cartridge and it shows the color carridge levels but error in the black cartridge.

Retired
Cheetah12
Message 2 of 5 (199 Views)

Re: HP Officejet 4500

[ Edited ]

Hello milesrx,

Welcome to the HP Forums!

I understand you're receiving a message indicating "One or more cartridges has a problem" using the Officejet 4500. I will do my best to assist you! Please make sure this printer is plugged into a direct wall, not a surge protector. I just want to see if this makes a difference.

Are you using Genuine HP Ink cartridges?

I would recommend following this entire HP document on 'Incorrect Print Cartridge' or 'Print Cartridge Problem' Message Displays on the Computer. Please post your results, as I will be looking forward to hearing from you. Have a great day! :smileyhappy:

I worked on behalf of HP.
Top Student
techie786
Message 3 of 5 (136 Views)

I have an issue with my HP OJ 4500. When the ink in the Black cartridge was low, I replaced it with a brand new genuine HP print cartridge 901 black. It strted giving an error message "cartridge problem [Black]" I returned it exchanged it for another cartridge but still the same error message.

Any ideas?

Retired
Cheetah12
Message 4 of 5 (118 Views)

Thank you for this information.

The only other suggestion I can provide is trying this reset to verify if the error message removes:

1. Remove all ink cartridges from the printer, then close the door
2. Remove the power cord from the printer (Do not press the power button)
3. Please clean the ink cartridges by following this HP document here. (Also, make sure you have completed all the steps from this document)
4. Wait 60 seconds or more, then plug the power cord back in
5. Wait for the printer to turn on completely, then install the ink cartridges
5. Try to printing a document

If these steps don't resolve your issue, then please contact HP technical support for further assistance. Click here to find out: HP Worldwide Contact. Good luck.

I worked on behalf of HP.
Top Student
techie786
Message 5 of 5 (89 Views)

Done all that before posting this. Have tried 2 brand new original HP  Black Cartridges, still the same error message. Done partial reset too, without any luck. I have also cleaned the printheads.

The message keeps on coming up after the printer is turned on.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation