Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hello,

It looks like there are 2 issues about no black ink printing, sometimes you have problems with the ink and you can fix it by cleaning the print head. The second issue is completly different: I do have two 6500 E709n and one of them was stopping black printing. first I did follow some recommendations I did found in the web and finally I did exhange the print heads across the printers and it is NOT the print head or the ink, what means the former not working printer cannot print black with the working print head of the other printer and the working printer can print black with both print heads. I did clean up the contact plate behind the print head with no success for black printing. So I do not have the solution and HP should mark this blog as not solved or split it into 2 issues.

Best regards,

blumbdi

HP Recommended

I am of the opinion that this is one issue only.

As reported in a previous post, I had my print head as well as cartridge (in all combinations: my print head, their cartridge; my cartridge, their print head; my print head and cartridge) tested on a different printer. All combinations worked perfectly. Yet, in my own printer back home, the black ink still did not priint.

I eventually soaked the print hear unit in rubbing alchohol and left it to dry; this then cured the problem and I am happily printing black now as well (albeit after losing some 60% of a black ink cartridge somewhere along the way).

I am still of the opinion that HP should investigate individual cases and come up with an official solution. This appears to be quite a widespread problem, and may very well cost them in terms of customers.

So, my conclusion: These are not two issues - all relate to some (still to be indentified) common underlying problem.

HP Recommended

wow! soaking the printhead in water worked for me! As others mentioned, I soaked it in warm water and replaced the water multiple times ultimately leaving it for a really good overnight soak once it seemed nearly all the ink was out. I flushed it a bit the next day and then left it to air dry for several full days. When I first put it back in the printer I was given an error message that said the print head was damaged. I took it out and more firmly pushed it back into place and then the ink cartridges. That time it seemed to like it,  and then took a while to go through whatever settings it needed to but ultimately it spit out a print test sheet and worked! Yeah 🙂

HP Recommended
I have tried the water soaking,after spending a small fortune on new cartridges. Nothing worked,so its in the junkpile. Bought an hp6700; hope this one lasts a bit longer?!
HP Recommended

Hello all,

I did buy a Officejet 7500 and installed initially the print head and cardriges from my old  Officejet 6500 which did not printing black ink. Everything works fine. So my old printer was bad and the print head and ink where ok.

Best regards,

Dietmar

HP Recommended

@blumbdi wrote:

Hello all, 

I did buy a Officejet 7500 and installed initially the print head and cardriges from my old  Officejet 6500 which did not printing black ink. Everything works fine. So my old printer was bad and the print head and ink were ok.

Best regards,

Dietmar

Not necessarily - it is possible the startup routines the Officejet 7500 went through on initialization cleared up an air bubble in the printhead.  

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

So somewhere  (too far for me to go back and look) someone said it was normal to have ink spray...in this case im going to have to disagree. There is a little box type piece that has a sponge like top to it on the right side where the carriege lands. I put my finger in there to see how much ink seemed to be coming out there because it looked like a puddle down in there. I came out with gobs and gobs of sticky black old ink. No matter how many times I continued to wipe, I just kept coming up with more. There is no way that is not a contributing factor. I am going to take the whole printer apart in the morning to see exactly what is going on over there but I know I read several people noticing this ink splatter as well. It is unbelievable how much ink is in that area. Will let you know if I clear anything up by looking into that.

HP Recommended

@loubratt wrote:

So somewhere  (too far for me to go back and look) someone said it was normal to have ink spray...in this case im going to have to disagree. There is a little box type piece that has a sponge like top to it on the right side where the carriege lands. I put my finger in there to see how much ink seemed to be coming out there because it looked like a puddle down in there. I came out with gobs and gobs of sticky black old ink. No matter how many times I continued to wipe, I just kept coming up with more. There is no way that is not a contributing factor. I am going to take the whole printer apart in the morning to see exactly what is going on over there but I know I read several people noticing this ink splatter as well. It is unbelievable how much ink is in that area. Will let you know if I clear anything up by looking into that.

It is normal to have ink in the service station area.  It is not recommended to stick your finger in there, it will get very inky and will continue to get inky as long as you continue to poke your finger in the service station.  While the ink will appear black it is actually a mixture of black and color inks.  Taking the whole printer apart may be theraputic, but it will not likely change anything.  You will likely find a large sponge and various tubing that gets the waste ink from the service area to the sponge.  Taking this apart will be a messy operation, I would suggest putting a layer or two of plastic sheet under the work area to keep ink off your desktop.

The document here describes ink usage in HP printers, in the language of that document the Officejet 6500 is an IIC printer.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

Thanks for all your posts.  I finally got it to work.   After flushing the printhead 4 times, I then went to Printer Manager and "cleaned the printer heads".  That did the trick.

HP Recommended

I think the printhead is gummed up. I ran through the clead print head option about 5 times and it finally cleaned it up and now it works perfect. No need to buy a new printhead or printer.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.