Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Thanks -- but I already ditched it.

After looking around here and on the web, seems that the only option I would have is to replace the printhead.  I cannot see going that route when a brand new printer can be had for $100 or so.

I ended up going to a Brother all in one MFC-J8750DW...it can print DVDsm which was a huge thing on my want list. It does everything the HP did and was $100. It also has wireless and a bunch of other thinsg I will probably never use. LOL

If anyone at HP cares, I have to say that the HP printer worked great for 4.5 years.  I paid $90 for it back then so I guess I got my use out of it.

That said, its a shame that design flaw (judging by the number of folks who have issues with black only clogging even when using only HP carts) makes this a disposable device....everyting else worked fine and I felt bad dumping it.  I am very much the type to use a device til it no longer does what I need it to.  To have a piece of equipment die due to a print head is just silly to me.

I am also disappointed that even after using ONLY HP carts religiously in this device I still had issues.

But anyways, thanks for the memories HP.  If the Brother printer does not work out I may be back.

HP Recommended

The hot tap water rinse of the print head worked for me the first time (summer 2013), then happened again in Spring 2014 and it did not work,  So I soaked the print head in rubbing alcohol lifting it in and out, changed alcohol several times until no ink was present.  Dry on paper towles then left it out over night to air dry.  Worked.  Now its happened a 3rd time last week. Tried everything that has worked in the past but not this time.  I have used up a brand new set of ink cartridges running 'clean print head' and 'alighnment' they all fail.  Used the unplugging factory reset procedures listed in previous posts.  NOTHING WORKS.  I am very hesitant to buy a print head....and I'm not convinced putting another $65.00 in ink cartridges will work.

HP Recommended

I wouldnt sink another set of cartridges into it....

Read my posts above......I had new carts in and it still did it.

You can get an exchanged refrubed print head from HP for like $40 plus shipping the old one back, I think......still no guarantee, but likely the issue.

But at $100 or less for a whole brand new printer, it made more sense to me to jump ship and go to Brother.

I have long been told that HP printers cost the most to run due to ink costs.......Brother ink is definately less pricey --- time will tell if it is any better long run or not.

Its a shame that all printer companies now treat their printers like disposables.....and charge dearly for the ink, which should be the cheapest part IMHO.

HP Recommended

I just learned form a guy who tinkers with printers that this device (Officejet 6500) cleans the print heads every time its powered on?  And that's why it takes so long before you can print.  And you can't disable the auto cleaning setting.

You would think that dirty print heads would not be an issue.  Probably why HP ignores this issue.

Guess my last option is to buy another printer from a different manufacturer.

HP Recommended

Open the printer.  Remove ink cartridges.  Lift printer cartridge lever (right side).  Cleaned with Qtips that were dabbed in alcohol.  Replaced printer cartridge and cartridges and let printer perform printer preparation/alignment.  It appears that this printer will accumulate ink buildup.

Works GREAT now!!

HP Recommended
Have tried & tried & tried with black cartridge...it's new and leaves wet ink on fingertip, but won't print. What to do!! Any ideas? Anyone? Have cleaned gold contacts with alcohol and qtips - still no black print. HELP!!
HP Recommended

@Eilo wrote:
Have tried & tried & tried with black cartridge...it's new and leaves wet ink on fingertip, but won't print. What to do!! Any ideas? Anyone? Have cleaned gold contacts with alcohol and qtips - still no black print. HELP!!

Soaking the printhead (not the ink cartrdige) as discussed in this post may help resolve black not printing on your Officejet 6500 e709n printer.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

@Lyle5209 wrote:

I just learned form a guy who tinkers with printers that this device (Officejet 6500) cleans the print heads every time its powered on?  And that's why it takes so long before you can print.  And you can't disable the auto cleaning setting.

You would think that dirty print heads would not be an issue.  Probably why HP ignores this issue.

Guess my last option is to buy another printer from a different manufacturer. 

The printheads are cleaned at power-on by *all* inkjet printers, not just HP or the HP Offcejet 6500.  The printer should always be connected to a live outlet (not an outlet switch or other power control), and only the printer's power switch should be used to power off the printer.  If you use an external switch a longer cleaning cycle will be run when the printer is powered on.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

I have tried the cleaning and mine is still not working it was working fine it seem strange all of a sudden people are having this problem HP should do something about this and post a fix .

HP Recommended

@CE03 wrote:

I have tried the cleaning and mine is still not working it was working fine it seem strange all of a sudden people are having this problem HP should do something about this and post a fix .

The post here may help resolve black not printing on your Officejet 6500.  Be sure to check the vents.  

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.