Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

You soaked it overnight? It says not to leave the cartridges out for more than 30 minutes. It worked in spite of that. How did you store the cartridges overnight?

HP Recommended

I'm having trouble too. How long did you soak the print head? How did you store the cartridges thereafter?

HP Recommended

While you cleaned 5 times, how did you store the cartridges? It says not to keep the cartridges waiting for more than 30 minutes.

HP Recommended

Tried the  10 min hot water soak then  Q-Tiped the screens with alcohol....

HP Recommended

OK, like soooo many of us suffering with the "won't print black issue", I've purchased a printhead CN643A for $48 from HP PartStore.  I had to send in old printhead for exchange.  I tried two sets of new black cartridges 920XL's and still won't print black.  I saw a faint shadow of a few black letters after multiple alignments and cleaning, but still no black.  I assume I'll call the HP PartStore and request another printhead under warranty.  Perhaps this is bad.

If this where an auto, the car company would offer extended warranty on these printheads.   Why should anyone have to soak a printhead hoping to unclog it?  Chances are, a lot of people will ruin the printheads anyway in the process.

Many suggested resetting the printer.  I wonder if this is NOT a mechanical issue but rather a driver or firmware issue?  I also uninstalled/reinstalled the Officejet 6500a printer software to be safe, but that had no impact. 

UPDATE- HP sent me a replacement print head, as I assumed initial replacement print head was bad.  Installed this second replacement print head, added new print cartridges and still NOT printinng black.  Tried the replacement print head on my other 6500 and SAME results, no black.  Tried deep cleaning, various resets with no success.  

I wonder if this is related to firmware in printer?

HP Recommended

I've also experiencing this problem with black ink not printing. I tried everything possible on ever Forum that I've read. The problem was with the Excessive Ink Tank. If you look to the right of the carriage beam, the cartridges come to rest on a sponge. I put in some tissue paper and "sponged up" some of the black in from there. and the printer printed perfectly thereafter.

HP Recommended

Have you tried soaking the printhead for more than a day and or until there's no more ink oozing out in the water? Be mindful that the cartridges should not be out of its area for more than 30 minutes (been there did that). I also found out that the printer should be used often to keep it moist or ever ready. I try to use the printer a few times a week...at least.

Has anyone cleaned the printhead AFTER the cartridges have been used up? This way, you can soak the printhead for as long as you want, without worry about drying out the cartridges. I'm so brilliant!!  🙂

HP Recommended

This problem is far from solved. Think most users gave up! My 6500 started printing very poor black yesterday, just barely legible, some lines better/worse than others. I have followed every helpful hint in this post including cleaning the service well which was floating in ink and soaking out the print head twice. I have replaced all cartridges with new. So much testing, or leakage, that two new color cartridges that went in yesterday are empty already today...this does not make sense. Yes, there was what appeared to be black ink everywhere on the right service side of the unit. After following instructions to clean the area, I experienced a carriage jam with error code 0x61000f6. Four hours later I got the carriage to work again and printed a terrible test page. I found a tiny piece of shredded paper against the inside wall of the printer service side outside of the rollers and gears, parking area of the carriage early on but this did not appear to be the problem, well soaked in ink though!! I am also faced with just having purchased a good supply of new ink cartridges, refilled, and hate to throw out the printer as it was perfect until yesterday. Someone somewhere must have the fix for this poor or no black ink issue. Bring it on! Only spent about 7 hours on it so far....

HP Recommended

There seems to be a number of us feeling your same pain! I wish we would get some kind of response from HP!!!

Cherry

HP Recommended

I will try this as I haven't done this one thing yet. Thanks

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.