Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

See the troubleshooting steps in this document, especially checking the vents as shown in Solution Two.  If that does not resolve the issue see the post here.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

Unable to pring in color AND black

HP Recommended

FIXED!!!!!! This happened to me yesterday and found this forum 2 hours ago.  What I did was take out the printhead and did as suggested.  Place in a luke warm bowl with little dishwashing detergent about 5 times shaking a little to get all or most of the ink inside until the last bowl was clear.  Then dried it for about 20 minutes lightly with a hair dryer.  Place back in the printer and did all those movements for about 10 minutes and printed perfectly.  Thank god! 

Good luck to all!

HP Recommended

Thanks so much for the answer to my black ink problem. It worked great. I had to figure out how to get the print heads out. It wasn't in the manual...imagine that. I held them under running water until the water ran clear as recommended, then dried them well before reinserting. There were flaky pieces of black that washed out. I had to clean the print heads to get get all the ink colors primed and working. After that, ready to go! Thanks again for the help.

HP Recommended

My printer hasnt been running for a year .Tried cleaning contacts

HP Recommended

Black ink not printing.  Need info ... How to remove cartridge tray to soak for 5 min.  illustrations would be helpful.  I have attempted cleaning ink printer heads many times and this does not solve problem.  Another suggestion from  HP user was to remove the ink tray and the cartridges and soak tray in warm water for 5 min. 

I have looked at the printer and can't find a way to remove cover.  Please help

HP Recommended
I have only cleaned the print heads through "Utility" on my computer. It worked ONCE and then back to the same problem. This, of course, uses a lot of ink. How do you remove the print heads on an HP Officejet 6500 in order to wash them?
HP Recommended

You can find a copy of the User Manual for the printer here: http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c01669504.pdf Starting on page 230, it has instructions and pictures to guide you through removing the printhead. It's quite simple to do, really. I hope the procedure works for you, it never did for me.

HP Recommended
ou can find a copy of the User Manual for the printer here: http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c01669504.pdf Starting on page 230, it has instructions and pictures to guide you through removing the printhead. It's quite simple to do, really. I hope the procedure works for you, it never did for me.
HP Recommended

You are likely wasting your time trying to correct this problem. The first time my three and a half year old, light duty 6500 stopped printing black I tried some of the remedies suggested here, restarted it and it worked for a few more days and failed again. I then tried all the remedies here with no success. Being the determined and cheap individual I am, I called HP customer support. After a challenging conversation with a very heavy accented voice, I was convinced that for $69.99 they could make it work good as new. After allowing the tech access to my computer, replacing the cartridge that was almost new and wasting nearly 3 hours with keyboard communication, He went silent with no good bye or success. Considering the $s committed I called again the next day and got another tech with a similar difficult to understand accent. After another two + hours and replacing yet another cartridge he also disappeared from my screen. The 3rd day the customer service number would not ring in. I called my credit card company to challenge the charge. The lady there succeeded in connecting with yet another tech with poor english that assured me he would correct the problem in 15 minutes. 2 + hours and another cartridge change later he also went away with no good bye leaving my printer totally disabled. Even the drivers were removed from my computer. A call to Companies of National Solutions, the billing company for HP customer service, resulted in the  charges refunded my card.  After talking to the IS guy at work and being squeezed for time, I reluctantly purchased a HP 8600 to replace the 6500. In hind sight, I wasted lots of time, stress and probably $100 in new ink cartriges on a product that seemingly is expected to be a disposable item after two to three years.  Sadly, that seems to be typical for the lower priced All in One units. I will definitely seek a more reliable manufacture for future purchases.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.