HP Officejet 6500 Wireless will not print with black ink (48959 Views)
Honor Student
jwilfong
Message 1 of 135 (48,959 Views)
Accepted Solution

HP Officejet 6500 Wireless will not print with black ink

HP Officejet 6500 Wireless will not print with black ink. This printer as worked flawlessly for years. Now, all of a sudden, it quit using the black ink. All other colors are working great. Any ideas?

I've tried multiple cleanings and resetting by pressing # and 3 while powering up. Nothing works but the ink levels are going down due to all the cleanings trying to get this thing to work.

Honor Student
DelbertH
Message 2 of 135 (48,789 Views)

Re: HP Officejet 6500 Wireless will not print with black ink

I am having the same problem.  My printer has worked since 2009 without an issue in printing.

Have you had any responses?

edh

Honor Student
tjmikel
Message 3 of 135 (48,767 Views)

Same problem here.  I've tried the things you mentioned and also uninstalled and reinstalled driver software.  Nothing is helping. 

Anyone find a cure?

Top Student
PokerChip
Message 4 of 135 (48,632 Views)

I've got it!!!

I searched all over the internet for a solution to this problem. Some people had the right idea but not how to implement it. 

Problem: Black ink does not print but all colors print

Reason: Print head for Black is clogged. 

Solution implementation: 

The 920 ink jet cartridges set into the print head cartridge that is  held in place by the little arm on the right side of the ink cartridges.

1. Remove all of the ink cartridges. I didn't want them to dry out so I wrapped them in plastic wrap.

2. Lift up the little arm and remove the print head cartridge.

3. Rinse THE ENTIRE PRINT HEAD thoroughly under a stream of water. I know this sounds crazy but it will work. I figured it was better to rinse all of them (not just the Black) because if I didn't then the ink left in any color would dry up and clog it anyhow! 

4. I let the print head dry out for about an hour BUT THAT DID NOT WORK. When I put the print head back my 6500 gave me an error message that it could not find the print head or something like that. I thought I ruined it which was the risk I was willing to take. I went online and searched for a cheap replacement. I immediately ordered it. But I left the old print head out to dry just in case it was the water that rendered it useless. 

5. Four days later I received a new print head. Before I opened the package I tried the old one again AND IT WORKED! First, I installed the old print head cartridge and then each of the inks. After doing this the 6500 did the rest. It went on a very long print head cleaning and alignment. It gave me the message, "Please wait. Printer preparation occurring." 

6. When the cleaning and alignment finished it printed a test page automatically. It didn't look perfect the first time but it was close. The message I got was, "Success. Alignment successful. Recycle or discard the page printed. Press Ok to continue." The problem was that the ink cartridges were drained from this whole process even though they had about half of the ink left when I removed them. I changed the ink cartridges and did a cleaning, a level 2 cleaning and an alignment. It worked! 

7. Since I couldn't return the new print head I'm keeping it in case the print head fails for another reason. 

I don't know how long it will take to thoroughly dry the print head after rinsing it but I know 4 days works. Maybe a couple of days would have been enough. If someone does it in less time please let others know here. 

If you don't have success using my method at least you know a new print head will solve it. I paid about $35 for a new one. 

Good luck!!

Student
weesaw
Message 5 of 135 (48,198 Views)

After I rinsed mine, I dried it pretty well, reinstalled everything, and restarted the printer and everything worked for me. This worked great, thanks for the help!

Honor Student
Don4U
Message 6 of 135 (48,057 Views)

I had this problem and tried many solutions. HP's printhead cleaning did not solve the problem. Pokerchip's did. I rinsed under steady stream of warm water until no more ink came off of the printhead. After drying thoroughly with a hair dryer, placed printhead and cartridges back in printer. After coughing up some weird alert messages, printer now does black ink printing. 

Top Student
BigDsBees
Message 7 of 135 (47,580 Views)

I had experienced the same problem with the black ink not printing (the strange thing being that it would print in black from one particular file, but no other files or applications would work). I followed the HP instructions to clean the printhead with a damp cloth, but had no success.  Likewise, I figured I wasn't going to lose anything by trying the more radical process of running warm water over the printhead to clean it (and it was definitely clogged with gunk). I let it dry for a few hours, but it would not work. I then tried it again a day later...no luck. After a week I tried one more time and, voila, the black now works. 

Thanks for the help.

Honor Student
Cdwolf
Message 8 of 135 (46,673 Views)

Hey everyone,

I was having the exact same problem and had done the alignment, cleaning, and new cartridge.  I followed Pokerchip's advice and it worked as advertised.  I rinsed the printer head until no more color was coming out of it and let it dry overnight (about 13 hours).  Then I threw it back in and it ran an alignment that failed.  No black printing again.  But it then gave me an alert that the cartridge was empty.  So, I threw in the new one that I had purchased and it worked great.  Thanks for the advice Pokerchip!

Top Student
dasaborner
Message 9 of 135 (46,646 Views)

Your solution, which happened after you ordered and received a new printhead, was to try the old one again after 4 days. I am just 1 hour into my after soaking/cleaning experience, and the messages I've received are exactly like yours. All this after running the cleaning cycle three times, and allignment two times, getting test printout with all the colors except black. Am running out of ink in the other cartridges with all this cleaning. Still have plenty of ink showing in the window for the new black cartridge, but no black print. Yes, I'll wait a day or two and try again, but meanwhile, no printer! From what I can see, this is a problem that many HP Officejet 6500 wireless are having. HP should send out something to us owners as we all seem to be experiencing this nasty inconvenience.

I wonder if anyone has tried to soak or as you did, use running water, a second time.?

rfb

Honor Student
santa1
Message 10 of 135 (46,639 Views)

I also have a Hp Office jet 6500 wireless printer. Which printer great for 2 years. Then no black I cleaned the printer head and dried it out. It went through the drill of realigning. The it printer for about a week now I have the same problem. It seems like the Hp printer are made to break after the warranty runs out this is the second one I have had that has done it. I agree that sounds like it is a major problem and that HP should send out a notice on how to fix the problem. I like the rest of you cannot afford to keep buying ink. Or cleaning the system every 2 weeks. Once it goes haywire. I will try cleaning the printing head again. I was thinking about using alcohol or some other fast drying solution. What do you think?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation