HP Officejet 6500 Wireless will not print with black ink
Replies (134)

Student
larrywallace75
Message 21 of 135 (16,363 Views)

Re: HP Officiate 6500 Wireless will not print with black ink

up until last week the black in printer would work

had a new modum put in Saturday and now the black color will not work

a brand new cartridge installed last night and still only the colors will print.

do not know why

help

l.w.

Student
cintrix1
Message 22 of 135 (16,356 Views)

Try the reset - it has worked for me: Keep the printer power on ON and pull the power plug out of the back.  While the plug is out wait about 15-20 seconds and press the #KEY and the Number3 key at the same time  and hold them down. While holding those two keys down, plug in the power cord.  The printer will come back on.

Student
bellcrazy
Message 23 of 135 (16,328 Views)

Thanks to all of you who came ahead of me. My printer lost the use of black ink three days ago so I purchased new cartridges, inserting them like I did in the past, and no show on black ink, and so I did what all of things my book said to do, plus online research. I was willing to try any thing. So after three days of trying to figure what to do next, I told my husband that by next Tuesday the printer would be in the garbage can, and I would have a new one all hooked up. But my son-in-law found listing from so many of you out there  having the same problem. Most of what you had said I had already tried, but I found that several of you rinsed the print head in warm water, so thought what have I got to lose I would try. I held it under the faucet for quite a while and the color never stopped running out so I just fixed a bowl of hot water and dropped it in for a couple of hours, then rinsed it again, dried it good and used my hair dryer on it, crossed my fingers and put everything back to gether, hit the on button, it went thru a lot of setup and finally printed a test page, and I had all and even black working beautifully, it even said "success" on its screen. Then I looked at my ink levels and the three colors were all down to about a eighth full, so now it is going to cost me another $100. for more ink. I am really serious about this, I think HP should buy the next supply for ink, no where in my books that came with the printer did it say that I would have problem with ink after a two years period. I trust Hp so much that we have two Hp Pc's, a HP laptop, and two other small HP printers that I have had longer than the 6500.

Honor Student
linda3835
Message 24 of 135 (16,308 Views)

I totally understand what you are saying.   I have had my 6500 printer for 13 months....  Very frustrated with the HP products.  My next printer and computer will not be HP!  I am glad you got yours to work.  My in working for now, but each time I am thinking," how long will it be until the next time"!

Top Student
myambrosia
Message 25 of 135 (16,129 Views)

Re: HP Officejet 6500 Wireless will not print with black ink

I've done everythingin the world to get my 6500 to print in black. Today I received a brand new printhead and thought my problems would finally be solved. Well guess what? NOT!!! It has been working flawlessly until 3 days ago. And I had just put in brand new 920XL ink cartridges and now they are all but depleted. I am so ticked off at this product and especially HP that I am at a point of throwing this out and never buying another HP product again. This is absolutely BS! And I say this after reading how many other people have this same problem. Why just the black ink? All of the other colors work. And choosing 'Premium" setting to get it to print out my mailing lables is not the soulution either. It uses the other colors to give you a weak color of black. My business depends on me being able to take care of my online customers.

Problems:

1: won't rpint in black

2: error states can't align

3: sucked all of my ink dry

4: machine wants to continue to align and/or clean

Sorry to rant but I've always promoted HP to everyone after owning a Cannon and an Epson. Cannon problem? Ink was too expensive. Epson sucked ink tanks like nobodies business. So now what do I buy?

Top Student
myambrosia
Message 26 of 135 (16,122 Views)

[ Edited ]

This is a followup to my original post. After reading it again I realized that perhaps I should have been more specific as to what I did to try and fix my printing problem. Actually the answer is quite an easy one...every single idea I found here on the forum, on youtube, and other places on the Net. This was the reason behind me purchasing a brand new printhead, factory sealed mind you. But to be as specific as posible for those who are reading this post for the first time...

1: I rest using both the standard "unplug it and press # and 3 while...etc."

2: Re-install the drivers...ug!

3: Wipe everything down using a lint-free cloth...got ink on my fingers but what the heck.

4: Restarted "spool" not that I understood what that meant but I did it anyway.

5: Check the vents on the catridge. Check!

6: Unplug all cords. Wait 15 - 20 seconds. Plug all cords back in. That was fun.

7: Manually align, toolbox align, website align. Alignment Failed error no matter what I did.

8: Check the vents...oh yeah I did that one already.

I am happy that some people got fixes from some of the same things that I did, but none of those fixes fixed my problem. If anyone has another idea I am more than willing to try it before I can this thing. I just can't afford to not have a printer. And I can't afford to buy a printer but if I have to...? Oh, and don't forget I put in a new printhead. The one that holds the cartridges. A new one. And still this 6500 will not print anything that requires black ink!

Tutor
PokerChip
Message 27 of 135 (16,113 Views)

I think you should read the earlier posts to this specific forum. You didn't try everything . . . 

Top Student
myambrosia
Message 28 of 135 (16,095 Views)

If your latest message was for me ...

"I think you should read the earlier posts to this specific forum. You didn't try everything . . ."

I did. And in fact I read your solution a couple of times and I know this sounds bad, but when you mentioned you had a new printhead I was hoping that you had put it in and had the problem either fixed with the new printhead or not. Why do I say this? Becasue, as I stated in my previous post, I put in a brand new printhead that I purchased and it did not fix the problem.

I may not have listed everything in my post that I tried, but I think I used everyone's suggestion but one. That one is to have my printer serviced by a technician. I might as well buy a new printer. So far with brand new ink about depleted (except, of course the black cartridge) plus the cost of my new printhead, which of course did not fix the problem, I already have over $120 invested. My printer printed just fine and suddenly when trying to print 2 more pages it stopped printing in black. Why? And why so many other peole having the same exact problem right around the same time? And why does it print in other colors?

Anyway thanks for suggesting I read earlier posts in the forum, although I did. However, if there is another remedy that you can think of I'd be more than happy to try it. Really! And I'm glad your printer is still working.

Tutor
PokerChip
Message 29 of 135 (16,064 Views)

Did you try rinsing it thoroughly with water (until the water almost runs clear) and then drying it really well (I dried mine for a few days)? Others used a hairdryer or left it in the sun to dry, etc. This seems to be the only way to unclog the printhead. 

Student
chuckitin
Message 30 of 135 (16,063 Views)

I have the Officejet 6500 printer and the printer head seems to have stopped working.  I have taken the advice of other users and tried rinsing it but to no avail.  HP want to charge me $75 for a new printer head after I have just paid $47 for a new cartridge to see if it was the cartridge playing up.  they offered me 25% off a new printer which says that this printer is as useless as I thought it was from day 1.  Its just over 12 months old.

Its expensive - the cartridges are hideous in price.  I have owned HP  printers for some 30 years and this is the biggest piece of junk I have ever owned.  Its noisy, its slow and quite frankly its crap.  My next printer will be a Canon or a brother - bye bye HP.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation