Question
HP Officejet 6500 won't print in black
Replies (33)

Top Student
Me1100
Message 21 of 34 (388 Views)

Re: HP Officejet 6500 won't print in black

This has been very frusting. I have done  all the steps three times that they have given for help. Soak, etc. The soak method worked the first time right away. A month later I had the same problem. Did the steps again, no luck. Then tried using  the printer a week later,  worked without doning anything.Used it for about a month again , no problem.  Now I am in the same boat, doesn't work again. ( meaning black doesn't work, all other colors are fine!) It sure is a problem they need to address!!

Top Student
ArloSmurf
Message 22 of 34 (341 Views)

* I'm having the same problem -- put in a new 920XL cartridge and now it won't print anything black.

* I had just one added twist -- my first "mint in the box" replacement cartridge might have been a counterfeit.  It was sealed in plastic with the orange pull tab, had the orange seal on the ink port, and the box was sealed (made in china!!); but when I put it in the printer, the printer told me "used cartridge"; returned it to the store for a replacement.

* I've tried almost everything suggested here:  wiped the contacts, removed the print head and wiped the contacts; powered off, removed power cord, held #3 "print head soak" in hot water.  Lots of bleeding ink!!  I am letting it dry overnight, then I will re-install it tomorrow with new ink cartridges and see if it works.

* If no joy, I will order a new print head.  That's what I had to do with my old 650.  I had to replace that entire printer and my flatbed scanner with slide copier, when I upgraded to WinVista, and HP did not provide new drivers.

A.S.

Honor Student
Sueshb
Message 23 of 34 (339 Views)

I did everything you did plus bought a new printer head but the ptinter did not recognise the head. I was lucky that supplier agreed with my findings and refunded the money. So if you get a new printer head be aware of this. So ultimatly I had to replace the printer.

Honor Student
azimport99
Message 24 of 34 (301 Views)

Hello - I have tried EVERYTHING listed (thoroughly cleaned and dried my original printhead numerous times; replaced it with a refurbished one; changed out old ink cartridges with new ones; cleaned printhead by using the Tools menu, etc...) and NOTHING has worked. Still no black.

Should I try one more time installing all new cartridges? As you may have guessed, these steps have drained most of my ink (except black, which still says it's nearly full), even though I bought 3 brand new color ones about 10 days ago when this all started, since the first deep cleaning took all of the remaining ink I had before. For me, this has been an expensive and fruitless endeavor.

I am beyond frustrated. What else can I do? Is it time to donate this one to a recycling center and get a new all-in-one? Thanks for your help.

Top Student
Me1100
Message 25 of 34 (300 Views)

I commented on this a while ago. I also did all the steps suggested, didn't work. I don't know why but after I stopped using the printer for a couple of weeks I tried again and it worked just fine. Then again a few months later it stopped printing black again. Did all the steps again, didn't work. Waited about a week and it worked. This happened three times for me. I was lucky I didn't need it all the time. But I am using it again now with no problems. Hope this doesn't jinx me!

Honor Student
azimport99
Message 26 of 34 (292 Views)

I also tried letting it 'set' for a few days (in case the old printhead still had a little water in it from the soak) without trying again too, to no avail. I hate that when you buy new cartridges that don't work for whatever reason, the store won't take them back and HP won't refund the money. :smileysad: So annoying!

Anyway, I think I'm SOL...

Top Student
ArloSmurf
Message 27 of 34 (284 Views)

Replaced the print head.  Still won't print in black, no errors displayed.

Fixed the problem.  Bought a new OfficeJet 6600, cheaper than paying someone to fix the 6500.

anyone need a HP 6500 Scanner, that won't print?

Honor Student
WantBlack2Print
Message 28 of 34 (225 Views)

I have done EVERYTHING suggested. The strange thing is that I can get the black ink to print if the size of my paper is 4x6. When I do an align printer it gives me a failure message & I cannot get it to print with black ink on my 81/2x11 paper. HELP Please!!

HP Support Agent
Gemini02
Message 29 of 34 (210 Views)

Hi WantBlack2Print

I understand the printer won't print in black on us letter size but will print on 4x6 paper.

Make sure the printer is plugged directly into a wall outlet.

Check your preferences for the printer settings.

Can you do a copy in black?

I would try and update the printers firmware.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01641815&tmp_task=solveCategory&cc=us&dlc=en&la...

Here is a url for the printer not printing black.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01641815&tmp_task=solveCategory&cc=us&dlc=en&la...

If you need more assistance just let me know.

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" on the right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Gemini02
I work on behalf of HP
Honor Student
WantBlack2Print
Message 30 of 34 (155 Views)

Gemini02

Both links you posted are to the same thing. No firmware upgrade page.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation