Question

Honor Student
Gadaki
Message 1 of 4 (94 Views)

HP Officejet 6600

I just bought a new black cartridge as it said my ink was out. I replaced it and tried printing and it says I have to replace the color ink cartridges (to print black and white). I checked those cartridges and they still have ink. What's the deal and why can't I use this printer for the purposes I bought it? I bought it to make black and white documents.

HP Support Agent
Jamieson
Message 2 of 4 (76 Views)

Re: HP Officejet 6600

Hello Gadaki , and welcome to the HP Forums.

I see you are experiencing ink issues.  I would love to try and help you, but I do need a little information first. I am linking a few HP Support documents below that will show you how to find which operating system you are using. Also, if you're using Windows, please include whether your operating system is 32-bit or 64-bit. With this information we can provide you with accurate information.

Mac OS X: How Do I Find Which Mac OS X Version Is on My Computer?
Which Windows operating system am I running?
Is the Windows Version on My Computer 32-bit or 64-bit?

Also, at what levels are your ink gauges sitting?

Please let me know what you find.  Thanks for posting on the HP Forums.

Jamieson
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the right to say “Thanks” for helping!
Honor Student
Gadaki
Message 3 of 4 (59 Views)

Windows Home Premium 64-bit

and the computer claims that the color ink cartridges are out, but when I took one out, it still weighed substantially more than the empty black cartridge I replaced.

HP Support Agent
Jamieson
Message 4 of 4 (51 Views)

Hello Gadaki,

I would recommend removing the cartridges, and performing a power reset.  Disconnect the power cord from the printer and the power outlet, then wait 60 seconds. After 60 seconds, plug the printer back in. Ensure you plug the printer directly to a wall outlet. Make sure to bypass any sort of surge protector or power bar.

I would also recommend utilizing the steps in this document on A 'Cartridge Problem,' 'Ink Cartridge Failure,' or 'Incompatible Ink Cartridges' Error Message Displ...

In response to your questions about printing black ink only, I have also included documents on Cannot Print When One of the Cartridges is Empty, and Printing with Depleted Cartridges.

Please let me know how it goes.

Jamieson
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the right to say “Thanks” for helping!
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation