Question

Honor Student
MyLovelyLena
Message 1 of 17 (5,871 Views)

HP Officejet 6700: A problem with the printer or ink system.

I'm not sure what the problem is anymore since I've bought new cartridges and applied them carefully and correctly.
My printer uses 933 for CMY and 932 for Black. Interestingly, it gives me this error when I installed the black cartridge. I don't understand why. I bought and applied the XL. Maybe it doesn't like XL?
Distinguished Professor
Shirlzz1
Message 2 of 17 (5,843 Views)

Re: HP Officejet 6700: A problem with the printer or ink system.

Here is a link to a document that addresses ink cartridge rejection errors for your model of printer. It will provide your with troubleshooting steps to try in attempt to correct the issue that you are having with the printer. If you reach the end of the document and find that you are still getting that error message I would do a hard reset to the printer. A hard reset will attempt to clear error message and restore the printer to a known working condition if possible. No user settings are lost with a hard reset. To do a hard reset:

1. With the printer plugged directly into a wall outlet, and turned on, unplug the cord from the rear of the printer.
2. Then unplug the cord from the wall socket.
3. Wait at least 30-60 seconds
4. Plug the power cord back into the wall socket first. If the cord has a module in it, make sure that the light on the module is lit up and then plug cord back into the rear of the printer
5. The printer should power back on by itself, but if not use the power button on front panel to turn machine back on. 
I am a former employee of HP...
How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved?
Honor Student
MyLovelyLena
Message 3 of 17 (5,838 Views)

I have tried that and so much more. Finally, I chose to contact HP directly and was told to do a number of troubleshooting tasks (that which I've done on my own a hundred times over). She put me on a conference call with an HP Engineer and we finally deduced that it most likely is the printer. I am receiving a conditioned printer by the end of next week and sending my defective one back to them. Thank you for your help!
Distinguished Professor
Shirlzz1
Message 4 of 17 (5,834 Views)

Thank you for the feedback.   If you need any help in the future please keep the forums in mind. We try to help out whenever we can in the community. Happy printing! 

I am a former employee of HP...
How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved?
Honor Student
mjglo
Message 5 of 17 (5,586 Views)

I have the Officejet 6700 Premium with the message: Ink System Failure

There is a problem with the printer or ink system. 

Purchase date 7/21/12, today is 7/31/13.  Out of warranty.  I've tried all of the tactics here and the message won't go away.  Has anyone ever successfully cleared this error, or is it always "fatal"? 

Regents Professor
jason_h
Message 6 of 17 (5,576 Views)

Hey mjglo,

Typically this is an error of a critical failure in the internal ink system of the printer.  

However, it is sometimes able to be displayed from a false error message from one of the internal sensors.  If this were the case, then the troubleshooting provided in the document linked above by Shirlzz1 would have addressed the issue.

I would advise either calling HP Tech Support to see about potential printer updrade options as the next step is going to be product replacement.

Hope this helps,

Jason

-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------

I am not an HP employee.
Honor Student
mjglo
Message 7 of 17 (5,441 Views)

I called service and told it is unrepairable.  I've got the replacement (at a slightly reduced cost).  Now I'm in a quandry deciding what to do with the old one.  Any suggestions?  It seems so wasteful to just throw it in the garbage.

Regents Professor
jason_h
Message 8 of 17 (5,420 Views)

Hey mjglo,

HP has recycling services for many regions around the world where you can dispose of your product in a green manner.  For more information about the recycling process please click the link provided below.

http://www8.hp.com/us/en/hp-information/environment/product-recycling.html?jumpid=re_r138_eco_produc...

Hope this helps,

Jason

-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------

I am not an HP employee.
Student
SassyBoots
Message 9 of 17 (5,074 Views)

HP PRINTER 6700 READS DEPLETED INK ON A NEW 932XLCARTRIDGE

HP Support Agent
Rainbow7000
Message 10 of 17 (5,055 Views)

Hello SassyBoots,

I am sorry to hear that your Officejet 6700 is giving you a message that your new 932XL cartridge is depleted. I have researched this issue for you and have found a troubleshooting document that I recommend that you follow to help resolve this issue.

I hope this works for you!

A 'Cartridge Problem' or Cartridge error messages displays

Good luck,

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" at the bottom of this post to say “Thanks” for helping!
Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

R a i n b o w 7000
I work on behalf of HP

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation