Question

Top Student
davegledhill
Message 1 of 7 (494 Views)

HP Officejet 6700 Cartridge Problem

I have a 13 month old HP6700 Officejet. The yellow ink ran out so I replaced the cartridge but the printer does not recognise it. I bought a new one but still no improvement.I ran the manual cleaning routine although it is impossible to run the built in process as I cannot get past the error message. Reseating the cartridge does not work.

I now have a relatively new printer, just out of warranty and a number of useless full cartridges. Any help?

Top Student
davegledhill
Message 2 of 7 (493 Views)

Re: HP Officejet 6700 Cartridge Problem

[ Edited ]

Running Win 7. The error message is "Cartridge Problem"

Also tried a full reboot power off and used the set up cartridges but still the same.

Top Student
davegledhill
Message 3 of 7 (448 Views)

[ Edited ]

Having spoken to customer support they say the printhead has failed. Great for a new printer but apparently it's because I used a remanufactured cartridge. Funny that it failed when I loaded a real one and it was working before on the old cartidges.  Corporate policy overriding customer needs perchance?

Top Student
davegledhill
Message 4 of 7 (434 Views)

As HP wont do it, I may have this printer inspected to find out independently whether it was  aquality issue or the remanufactured cartridges really do have any impact at all. In the US this would be worthy of class action suits.

HP Support Agent
MissTeriLynn
Message 5 of 7 (424 Views)

Hi davegledhill,

I just sent you a private message. If you are not sure how to check your forum messages this post, has instructions.

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post resolved your issue, as it will help others find the solution faster :smileyhappy:
Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" on the right to say “Thanks” for helping!

**MissTeriLynn**
I work on behalf of HP
Top Student
davegledhill
Message 6 of 7 (395 Views)

My case to HP Customer Support central:

Dear Jeff,

The details you require are below.

As I explained to the UK Support agent (during a long, expensive and fruitless call), I bought an HP 6700 Officejet printer in Apr 13. The warranty expired in Apr 14. The setup cartridges ran out quickly and I replaced them with genuine HP 932 and 933 cartridges. Some months ago those ran out and I ordered what I thought were genuine cartridges but turned out to be remanufactured equivalents. As the printer supports my business I had no choice but to use them at the time. The printer worked fine for a few months and I began to experience a degradation in print quality so I ordered genuine 932 and 933 replacements. When I fitted the genuine cartridges the problem began. I am receiving an error message “Cartridge Failure” and the printer will not recognise the yellow. Given the way the printer is programmed and configured it will not print at all.

When I spoke to HP Support UK I was honest and admitted I had been forced to use remanufactured items. They would have me believe the printhead failed because I used remanufactured cartridges. I refute that line as the printer failed when I fitted genuine items. I believe this is an electronics issue and not associated with the ink as they would have me believe. I believe I have experienced a technical failure early in the printers life, albeit just out of warranty.

The support team refused to inspect the printer nor offer me any other option such as a repair. They offered only a discount on a new one. I believe this shows a distinct lack of flexibility, customer service and support. I have a printer which is only 14 months old. It will not even print in black and white. If the printhead is so delicate it can be damaged after such a short period of time the printer is not of merchantable quality. Fourteen months is not an acceptable life.

I recognise your business model and that you make profits from cartridge sales. I normally buy genuine items and this was a one off. I am, however, upset at being in the middle of the manufacturer’s battle with the refillers.

Given that I had bought 4 very expensive new cartridges I have since been forced to buy a new HP6700 against my better judgement.

Top Student
davegledhill
Message 7 of 7 (397 Views)

Re: HP Officejet 6700 Cartridge Problem WHAT HAVE I LEARNED?

So what are the many lessons I have learned from this expensive experience?
1. Sometimes honesty does not pay.
2. Hewlett Packard’s Support Forum is re-designated as social media.
3. That HP’s technical solution to a cartridge problem in this eco-friendly age is to clean the contacts with water. If that does not work the solution is to throw the expensive hardware away and buy a new one.
4. That HP’s Customer Support has no desire to identify the real reason for printhead failures and can diagnose the reasons by phone.
5. That the HP6700 Officejet is designed not to be able to print even in black and white in the event of a single cartridge failure.
6. That a war is being fought between hardware manufacturers and cartridge remanufacturers. The victim is, apparently, the customer.
7. That UK consumer law which states that you can ask for a repair or replacement at any time up to six years after you bought the goods as long as it is reasonable for them to have lasted this long is clearly not relevant in this case.
8. That if you choose to consort with “the counterfeiters” you can expect to receive no customer support if your hardware fails prematurely.
9. That if you are in the market for a printer caveat emptor applies; buyer beware.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation