Question

Honor Student
y1akov
Message 1 of 5 (2,166 Views)

HP Officejet Pro 8500 Message:Ink Cartridge Missing

I get an error message that says the "Following ink cartridge appears to be missing or damaged"  The ink cartridges are all brand new.  I believe the printer thinks they are missing.  I followed the directions for the message "Following Print heads appear to be missing or damaged" but that did not fix the problem.  Any ideas?

PhD Student
Binary_Zen
Message 2 of 5 (2,142 Views)

Re: HP Officejet Pro 8500 Message:Ink Cartridge Missing

I linked a document below that covers this exact problem. I am not sure if this is the same document you have tried.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c02603397&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&product=3752462&tmp...

Binary_Zen (worked at HP )

Click the white Kudos star to say thanks
Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem
Top Student
LeonardoCal
Message 3 of 5 (1,738 Views)

Same issue here.

Picked up the hardly used printer so I bought the power cable(was missing) and now 4 new cartridges (which is not cheap) and this thing is dead.

I know HP monitord these threads so shame on them for not offering a better fix or replacement for such a defective unit. They stick with the "Warranty is out, sorry, but you can buy another..." and that is just not right!!!

I have tried all possible fixes and I checked all connections. Cant update firmware as it's stuck in the error screen.

Time for a class action suit?

Student
acecpu
Message 4 of 5 (1,574 Views)

Same problem. Replaced all cartridges. Why can't it print in black/white if 1 color cartridge fails? 

Top Student
JennyWilks
Message 5 of 5 (118 Views)

I had this same issue and I FIGURED OUT THE ISSUE!! Well... my issue and I hope it helps anyone who has this problem (I know this is an old post!)

I did everything listed and to no avail my printer wouldn't work. I then noticed the contact for the black ink was not out like the rest (the plastic piece that makes electronic contact with cartridge). While inserting the cartridge it popped the piece out of position which is why it would register.

I used pliers and carefully pulled the piece out, adjusted it so the contact was facing correct side and popped back into place. When I went to reinstall the same cartridge I could feel that it wasn't lining up. Just put in slowly and thank goodness problem solved!!!

Hope this helps at least one person here!!
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation