Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I have an HP Officejet Pro 8600+ that is coming up with an error message. This just happened out of the blue yesterday. The printer is just over a year old.

It says:

"There is a problem with the printer or ink system. Print head missing not detected incorectly installed or incompatable" 

I have removed and reinstalled ink cartridges, the head, unplugged, cleaned, etc. etc.

HP Officejet Pro 8600+

Product Number CM750A
Serial Number {Content Removed}
Not under warranty

Please advise.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Sorry that you are experiencing this problem. Here is a link that may assist you with the ink system.
HP Customer Support - Software and Driver Downloads

It seems to be a bad print head, or it needs manually cleaned with lint free cloth and water. If these steps do not resolve the issue, contact HP Support (1800-474-6836).

**Click the KUDOS star on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Please mark a reply "ACCEPTED AS SOLUTION" if it solved your problem, so others can find it.

View solution in original post

55 REPLIES 55
HP Recommended

Sorry that you are experiencing this problem. Here is a link that may assist you with the ink system.
HP Customer Support - Software and Driver Downloads

It seems to be a bad print head, or it needs manually cleaned with lint free cloth and water. If these steps do not resolve the issue, contact HP Support (1800-474-6836).

**Click the KUDOS star on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Please mark a reply "ACCEPTED AS SOLUTION" if it solved your problem, so others can find it.
HP Recommended

I don't have this problem, (brand-new printer), but I'm reading up to be better informed. The link that you post says to NOT touch the printhead or contacts. How do you clean it, then? The link gives no cleaning instructions.

HP Recommended

@ Old_Salt-   Here is a link to the user manual for the Officejet 8600. It will Show one how to clean the printhead on page 149. If one wants to clean the electrical contacts; that is addressed on page 233 and is recommended when one is having a cartridge problem.  It should be noted that this procedures are steps that one should take when doing troubleshooting and to do cleanings when they are not necessary can waste ink. I hope this user guide helps.   

I am a former employee of HP...
How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved?
HP Recommended

The link that you had supplied indicated that touching the contacts was a no-no. In the manual, I found the reference on page 149, but no reference anywhere, index or otherwise, to page 233, which does say to clean the contacts. It's a good thing that this forum is here - to make up for documentation (and stupid owner) shortcomings.

HP Recommended

Thank you for the feedback and thank you for the compliment on the forum. I try to help whenever I can.  Happy Printing Old_Salt! 

I am a former employee of HP...
How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved?
HP Recommended

I am experiencing the same problem. I have tried all of the above on the link you provided.  I bought a new pack of colored ink, installed it and then came the problems.  I returned it to Staples and got a new pac.  It worked find.  When the ink was done (2-3 weeks with very little colored printing) I went to Costco  who had the XL pack.  The first pack gave me the same problem I experienced before.  I returned it and got another pack.  When I checked the ink leves, at first only the yellow ink registered.  I took out the cyan cartridge and used the setup cyan cartridge.  It then registered the pink ink.  So now both the pink and yellow ink are registering.  The set up ink shows that it is registering but with very little ink.  I was able to print a few copies.  Now that's done.  I reinstalled the new cyan cartridge.  Now the message changes - you have a bad ink cartridge or damaged ink cartridge.  WHAT'S GOING ON WITH HP INKS?  THIS IS FRUSTRATING AND RIDICULOUS.  ONLINE I AM TOLD MY WARRANTY HAS EXPIRED.  THIS PRINTER IS LESS THAN A YEAR OLD.  OFFICEJET PRO 8600

HP Recommended

@olmyoung

I saw your post and forwarded it to the right people for their review. You should hear back from someone shortly via private message on this Forum.

-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------

I am not an HP employee.
HP Recommended

i have the same problem.  everything started when i replaced a black ink cartridge - then it asked me to replace all the cartidges in succession - then i get a message that the print head is missing. ?????  spent 1.5 hours on tech support and they want me to buy a new printer.  

I wish i had some test cartridges to see if they are the problem or a test print head.

any ideas????

thanks

HP Recommended

I too have an HP8600 with a bad printhead after a year and a half. Changed a cartridge and no help. And I cannot  find a replacement except for a reconditioned part online. Also not able to find on the HP store. There should be an easier answer and obviously this product is faulty with so many with the same complaint

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.