HP Officejet Pro 8600t in new HP print cartridges still says cartridge problem (4424 Views)
Student
dianarowl
Message 1 of 5 (4,424 Views)

HP Officejet Pro 8600t in new HP print cartridges still says cartridge problem

I have a new HP Officejet Pro 8600 - says I have damaged or missing cartridges.  I have replaced all cartridges with brand new HP cartridges.  Still will not recognize them.  I have turned off the print count in preferences.  Still not working.  What do I do?

Master's Graduate
KennyB3
Message 2 of 5 (4,409 Views)

Re: HP Officejet Pro 8600t in new HP print cartridges still says cartridge problem

dianarowl,

The cartridge or carriage contact probably need to be cleaned.  Click here for a detailed description of the following steps for when An 'Ink Cartridge Failure,' 'Incompatible Ink Cartridges,' or 'Ink Cartridge Problem' Error Message Displays on the All-in-One.

Solution one: Make sure that the cartridges are inserted correctly
Solution two: Check the carriage latch
Solution three: Remove, inspect, and clean the problem cartridge
Solution four: Repeat the cartridge cleaning steps
Solution five: Replace the problem cartridge
Solution six: Replace the printhead
Solution seven: Service the All-in-One

Click the Kudos on the left side for helping and click Accept as Solution for providing a solution. I work for HP.

Best Regards,
Kenneth
Honor Student
Ron357
Message 3 of 5 (4,312 Views)

Re: HP Officejet Pro 8600t in new HP print cartridges still says cartridge problem

I'm sure by this time dianarowl has either figured it out or just replaced the machine. But for anyone else having this issue, let's say first cartridge being replaced, all others are maybe still original, and walla' you load the new one in thinking nothing of it and now all of a sudden the machine says they're all f'd up. hmmmm. Of course following all the basic troubleshooting tips really does not do any good since most of us are bright enough to think of those hence we are here looking for a solution. After much aggravation, the latch on the side of the cartridges, though was in its proper up position, I for the fun of it lowered it. Then released each cartridge and reinserted, then raised the latch back into its upright position. Only then did the printer see that I had all my cartridges in after all and finally all is now well.

Honor Student
Ron357
Message 4 of 5 (4,305 Views)

Ok, even more fun news to this one. After all the hassle of changing my first cartridge (yellow) from the original set up cartridges, keep in mind about an hour and a half has passed. I go to print and then it tells me my blue is out....and of course it will not print until it is replaced. Ok, so be it, first let's check the ink levels. Yellow is now full, blue-out, black (double the size of the other color cartridges) is at 25-30%, red same as black. So fine, I go get my blue and no issues with changing this one out. I go to print and "YOU ARE OUT OF BLACK!"...-this sounds fishy-, after venting with my wife over this I head out again to retrieve my black, and as a pre-emptive strike I'm picking up red too. I change my black, let the printer do it's thing, refresh the ink levels and now yellow, blue and black are full, and red is still alive at 25-30%. Then I go to print......... guess what it said...I understand printers are marked low with not too much profit but will be made up for with the high costs of ink. But if the set up cartridges were not designed to work with regular ones there should have been a big ol' label on that access panel saying when a set up cartridge needs to be changed you will have to change 'ALL' of them. 3 hours later I can now print what I need to print. I have dealt a lot with HP products due to affordability and general liability but when they blind side you like that it leaves you a little bitter.

Student
lazikitten
Message 5 of 5 (1,661 Views)

Logging into to state that we are throwing our printer in the garbage. Tired of HP stating I must use their cartridges or my printer won't work....Reading alot online folks by HP genuine cartridges and the HP 8600 all in one printer still won't work! What a piece of garbage and HP doesn't really seem to care. Check out all the complaints online....Bad business!!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation