Question

Top Student
Bakerboy
Message 1 of 8 (393 Views)

HP P1102 Laserjet Cartridge not recognised so orange light flashes.

Product number: CE651A

Whist printing, printer stopped, warning me of 'paper jam' Removed toner cartrigdge to find no paper jammed. Replaced same cartridge but now I get an 'Insert cartridge' message. This suggests I have not re-installed the cartridge correctly and also tried inserting another HP duplicate cartridge but same warning light flashes. Tried many times reinstaling the cartridge and it clicks into place easily but to no avail. The original error message was wrong so is it a technical connection fault - or really is it me? I have also tried 'resetting' the printer via the power cables but again no joy.

HP Support Agent
Gemini02
Message 2 of 8 (372 Views)

Re: HP P1102 Laserjet Cartridge not recognised so orange light flashes.

Hi Bakerboy,

Welcome to the HP Forums, I hope you enjoy your experience!

I see by your post that the toner isn't being recognized now after a paper jam message.

You have replaced the toner and it still isn't being recognized.
I will be happy to help you.

Make sure the printer is connected directly to a wall outlet. (don't use a power hub or a surge protector)

Number one cause of toner rejection.

Make sure all the orange packing material is removed from the toner.

Check inside the printer after removing the toner with a flash light just to make sure a piece of paper isn't blocking the sensor. Remove all the paper from the tray, to make sure one piece didn't partially feed inside the printer.

Then put the paper back in the tray and insert the toner again.

I have provided a document to double check the areas for a paper jam to occur or get stuck inside the printer unnoticed.

Clearing Paper and Carriage Jams.

Are you using Genuine HP Toners?

Hope this helps.

Thank you for posting on the HP Forums.
Have a nice day!

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" on the right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Gemini02
I work on behalf of HP
Top Student
Bakerboy
Message 3 of 8 (347 Views)

Thank you for taking an interest in my problem and suggestions for cure.

You should note that this printer has worked seamlessly for 3 years so toner cartridge installation cannot be the problem. This is the first problem I have had of any sort with HP lasers over 15 years starting with the Laserjet II in 1989, so 'operator error' is hardly, but not necessarily, unlikely!

Further, the power is connected direct to wall socket, as you asked, as it always has been; and had just completed a 4 page print when it stopped with  'paper jam' error message. I agree, the likely cause is the sensor is not being picked up for the toner being installed but where is this lkely to be found? And why did a 'paper jam' error appear when there was none? The paper path was checked and no paper is left in the printer; neither were any of the printed pages torn/ripped as though a bit could be left behind causing the paper jam message - or cartridge error message. Your other suggestions were checked but of no help.

Logically, the toner sensor not being recognised is the most likely source of the problem but not having found a 'paper jam' and therefore did not have to remove the errant paper, why was there not another 'paper jam' error message? Unless in the act of taking the toner out and replacing it incorrectly... Tried many times to reinstall the cartridge but no changes in message.

Please remember the printer was working perfectly until the 'paper jam' messge appeared so initial faulty installation is a no-no!.

I had tried another/separate HP cartridge to check the initial cartridge was at fault but same problem arises.

The location of the sensor would be interesting so I can double check - is there any way I can fool the printer into thinking a cartridges is installed and see if th error message is repeated?

Don't think I can add any further comment.

HP Support Agent
Gemini02
Message 4 of 8 (341 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi Bakerboy,

Sorry, that didn't help.

Thanks again for providing me with your detailed efforts to get the printer working.

I see that you have even tried another toner and it still isn't recognized.

Are you using Genuine HP Toners?

Try cleaning the contacts.

Use a pencil eraser & clean the contacts on top of the toner,

Then slowly insert the toner and look on the left hand side, you will see a black plastic piece flip up to meet with the toner, before it meets the toner you will see 2 contacts sticking out of the black plastic piece, use the pencil eraser to also clean it to see if that resolves the issue.

If you are still having the problems then most likely it is a hardware issue with the printer and  I would recommend to call HP Tech Support for further assistance to see what other options are available for you. Contact HP Worldwide.

Thank You.

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Gemini02
I work on behalf of HP
Top Student
Bakerboy
Message 5 of 8 (334 Views)

Thank you for comments and wil try those suggestions.

Out of curiosity, I noticed that with the toner in place, on the left side, there is a black flap, maybe 15mm square  that looks as though it should fold flat onto the toner cartridge. I did try - very gently - to push into place but didn't want to force it. Should this fold flat against the cartridge? Will take a photo if you are not sure what I mean.

HP Support Agent
Gemini02
Message 6 of 8 (325 Views)

Hi Bakerboy,

I believe you are talking about the flap that covers the drum.

Yes, it is supposed to flap over the drum.

Inspect the drum to make sure there is no toner on it and it doesn't look damaged. Don't touch the drum though.

When the toner is inserted into the printer that flap flips up to the top of the toner.

The only other part I could see is the black plastic part on the left side with the two silever contacts sticking up and it flips up and goes against the contact on the toner.

If that isn't that part you are referring to, I would welcome a screen shot.

Thank You.

Gemini02
I work on behalf of HP
Top Student
Bakerboy
Message 7 of 8 (321 Views)

I should have said, the black 15mm square flap on left side of toner bay just rests on the cartridge and I was unable to delicately 'snap' it into place although I was previously unaware it needed such help because it would need a deliberate human intervention to do so (that I never noticed needed me before)! Will add image in a few days when next able to do so.

Top Student
Bakerboy
Message 8 of 8 (261 Views)

Hello

Thank you for your past constructive comments but have to report none of them have solved the problem of the reported 'Install cartridge' error message. In your first post, you suggested the fault might be, if all else fails, to be a hardware error that I concur with. How do I take this fault to the next level and contact HP support staff as per your suggestion?

"If you are still having the problems then most likely it is a hardware issue with the printer and  I would recommend to call HP Tech Support for further assistance to see what other options are available for you. Contact HP Worldwide."

I have now been without a printer since early April and am frustarted and hidebound with this restriction, so am hoping HP will be able to find a solution.

Thanks again for your past help but feel I need another view from HP Tech Support to overcome this problem.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation