Question

Honor Student
Buddhs
Message 1 of 5 (491 Views)

HP PSC 1310 All-in-one not printing text properly

[ Edited ]

It looks washed out thanks to my camera, but pay attention to the shadow-like repition of the text, around the text? that's the problem. The coloured squares look fine, it's just the text that comes out like this, regardless of the quality settings.

I've tried:

-Using the Clean Cartridge tool

-Using the Align Cartridges tool

-Manually removed and cleaned the print cartridge heads

It looks like an alignment issue but the alignment tool is changing nothing. Black text comes with red and blue shadows, pretty far from the text, so it is not even a slight misalignment.

What else can I try? None of what I did seemed to affect the situation. 

Any ideas? Thanks!

I'm using a HP PSC 1310 All-in-one with Windows 7. No error messages given anywhere. The HP Scan and Print Doctor program said everything was fine too.

CYMERA_20130911_160020.jpg

Associate Professor
kkcb9395
Message 2 of 5 (472 Views)

Re: HP PSC 1310 All-in-one not printing text properly

Hi - It certainly looks like you've covered all the basics with your troubleshooting.  It sounds like it may be an accumulation of ink residue on the encoder strip.  the encoder strip is the transpartent plastic strip (with small vertical lines on it) that runs across the printer directly behind the carriage.  It's very fragile, but outside of having the printer serviced, I'd try cleaning the encoder strip.  Try following these steps.

- Disconnect the power from the back of the printer.

- Dampent a cotton swab (Q-tip) with water and gently wipe both the front and the back of the encoder strip a few times.

- Take a dry cotton swab and run it along the front and back of the encoder strip to remove any remaining water.

- Plug the printer back in and try running the self test again.

Keep in mind that the encoder strip can easily be pulled off of it's connectors at the sides of the printers, so be very gentle in cleaning it.

Hope that helps.

Say Thanks by clicking the Kudos thumbs up. Please mark the post that solves your problem as an Accepted Solution so other forum users can utilize the solution.

I am an HP employee.
Honor Student
Buddhs
Message 3 of 5 (469 Views)

Thanks for the info kkcb9395! But it didn't work :smileysad: Still the same, no change.

So I tried forcing the printer to print in black or grayscale, just to see what happens. The results were the same, the coloured shadows still appear! Found a 'black-only grayscale' option and a 'text in black' option (not word to word but something like that). Anyway, even with those options turned on, the colour cartridge was being used? (Since the alignment issue seems to be coming from the colour cartridge?) And I'm sure there's no formatting on the text, I'm using Notepad :smileyhappy:

How can I force it to use the black cartridge only? If I remember right, older models did this when asked to.

Any other ideas?

Associate Professor
kkcb9395
Message 4 of 5 (464 Views)

Sorry to hear that didn't take care of the problem.  A couple of other things to try:

- You mentioned that you manually cleaned the ink cartridges.  Did you do that using water and a cotton swab, cleaning the nozzle are?  If not, I'd definitely recommend you do that (after disconnecting the power), as well as the area surrounding the nozzles.

- I'd also recommend checking the bottom of the carriage, as best you can, and cleaning it as well.

- Last, you might try replacing the color cartridge, though I hesitate to suggest having you spend the money on a cartridge when it may or may not resolve the issue.

In regards to the black cartridge only option, it sounds like you found the right selections in the driver.  There aren't any other options to force it to use black, that I'm aware of.

If that doesn't take care of it, the only other option may be looking into the service options available for your printer.  hopefully the steps above will resolve it though.

Say Thanks by clicking the Kudos thumbs up. Please mark the post that solves your problem as an Accepted Solution so other forum users can utilize the solution.

I am an HP employee.
Honor Student
Buddhs
Message 5 of 5 (456 Views)

Yup I did clean the cartridge and the craddle too. Maybe I'll try cleaning the craddle once more.

Else I guess I will find a service centre. Thanks for the help!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation