Question

Tutor
MartynJ
Message 1 of 7 (457 Views)

HP PhotoSmart Premium C310a - excessive use of Ink.

I have owned a HP Photosmart premium C310a for just over a year now. For the first 6 months it was fantastic, ink use seemed measurable with my previous Epson R280 Photo Printer. Then it got a software upgrade (Printer firmware not Windows driver software). Since then the printer has used an excessive amount of ink.

Every time I print, it seems to clean the heads and "drink" a pint of ink!, it then prints a few pages, and does it again! The other day I took a look inside the printer to see where all the ink was going. The ink waste collection tray was nearly overflowing! No wonder I am getting through cartridges like Bill-y-ooo.

Please HP can you issue an new firmware update, that does not keep doing this!

I read with glee the other day that HP are bringing out a Business Inkjet that out performs a Lasrjet. HP are investing in business Inkjet as the home market is drying up. No wonder when the printers get through so much Ink.

Come on HP the printer is fantastic. The print quality is superb. The only let down is the amount of ink it drinks, an the cost of the cartridges. ( A full set of XL cost more than I paid new for the printer!) Either lower the cost of your cartridges or maybe create a home printer (that cost a bit more), but uses a CISS kit or has larger cartridges ( more the 3ml in the standard cart or 8ml in the XL's).

Regents Professor
Ciara_B
Message 2 of 7 (396 Views)

Re: HP PhotoSmart Premium C310a - excessive use of Ink.

Hi Martynj, do you have the details on this fw update? Do you think it's running more servicing/printhead cleans than before?
Thanks
Ciara
Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.
Twitter: @Ciara_B_HP
Tutor
MartynJ
Message 3 of 7 (390 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi, according to the printer web page the details are

Product Name HP Photosmart Prem C310 series

Product Model Number CN503B

Product Serial Number[Personal Information Removed]

Service ID 21285

Firmware Version TPI2CN1038BR

Total Page Count 1063

Total PCL5 Page Count undefined

Total PCL6 Page Count undefined

Total PostScript Page Count undefined

Country/Region UK

I beleive it does a lot more servicing and cleaning then ever before. It takes ages to actually print, as it nearly always cleans for about 1 minute. Unless you seem to print a few jobs quickly (within 10 minnutes), the next time you print, it does it again! Sometimes when its finished printing also.

Regents Professor
Ciara_B
Message 4 of 7 (384 Views)

Hi Martyn, does it print an alignment/printhead clean page or just run a printhead clean? When it's not in use do you power it down at the power button?

Thanks, Ciara

Tutor
MartynJ
Message 5 of 7 (372 Views)

It just runs the printhead clean cycle. The other day the internal reservior was nearly full!

I never switch the printer off, after all it is wireless and I have kids with laptops trying to print their homework out from their bedrooms!

On the odd time the printer has stopped responding, and I have to turn it off, I usually find it never shuts down, it says shutting down, but 5 minutes later it is still shutting down. So I have to pull the power cable.

Regents Professor
Ciara_B
Message 6 of 7 (367 Views)

Hi Martyn, do you know which update it was? See link below for the PS c310a.....

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareCategory?os=4063&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=&sw_lang=&product=423120...

Thanks, Ciara

Tutor
MartynJ
Message 7 of 7 (364 Views)

Ciara,

That I do not know, the Printer came up one day and said an update was available do i want to install? I don't remember downloading anything from the windows 7 drivers.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation