Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

I changed my black ink cartridge in my HP Photosmart 5514 (product number CQ183A, serial # {Private Information Removed}) and now it will not print black.  The colors work fine, just no black. I have cleaned the print heads, done the secondary clean, tried page allignment, I have turned it off and restared it.  I have plugged it into a new outlet, I cleaned the head of the cartridge and the printer. Nothing has worked.  Please help me.  The printer ran out of ink, I bought a new cartridge, I put it in, that is all I did to it.  I have a "genuine HP black ink cartridge 564".  It is not a refilled, refurbished, used, ect. ink, it's brand new.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Sorry that you are having a problem with the black not printing. This usually occurs when the print heads are clogged, damaged, or bad cartridges. 

You may have purchased a bad cartridge. Sometimes they are damaged right out of the package. It could also be the print head needs changing. 

Here is a link that may help you with this situation. 

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03425035

You can also try to take the print head out and clean the contacts with lint free cloth and water. 

Let me know what happens. 

**Click the KUDOS star on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Please mark a reply "ACCEPTED AS SOLUTION" if it solved your problem, so others can find it.

View solution in original post

42 REPLIES 42
HP Recommended

Sorry that you are having a problem with the black not printing. This usually occurs when the print heads are clogged, damaged, or bad cartridges. 

You may have purchased a bad cartridge. Sometimes they are damaged right out of the package. It could also be the print head needs changing. 

You can also try to take the print head out and clean the contacts with lint free cloth and water. 

Please mark a reply "ACCEPTED AS SOLUTION" if it solved your problem, so others can find it.
HP Recommended

I am having the same problem with my HP Photosmart 5514 where I replaced the black cartridge and now it has stopped printing black while all the rest is working fine. Can you please let me know how did you exactly solve the problem ?

HP Recommended

@Animatrix, sorry that you are having the same problem. 

Have you tried the steps and the link above?

You see if you can take out your print head and clean with lint free cloth and water. Check to see if you have a detachable print head. There is a lever/latch to the right of the cartridges. Lift it up, and see if you can take the basket out. This is your print head. 

Let me know if this helps, or what happens. 

HP Recommended

@Rudy1906 wrote:

Just to clarify - the Printhead on the PS 5514 cannot be replaced (it is designed to be part of the printer and should not be removed)

Ciara

I am speaking for myself and not for HP. Twitter: @Ciara_B_27
HP Recommended

You should not have to do all these tasks just to replace an ink cartridge

HP Recommended

Hi,

Tried all the items in the "Solution" link, but no dice.  Will not print in black, will not copy in black, out of warranty, tried two new HP black cartridges, still no luck.  Have used 1/2 of my new color cartridges up in printhead cleaning.  Anyone have other ideas or a different path to success?

HP Recommended

Hi crosivach,

Since you have already completed the troubleshooting in the "solution" link and you're still having the same issue there is going to be a defect with the printhead itself. Unfortunately there is no option for this specific printer model to replace the printhead. I recommend calling HP Technical Support as they will have some out of warranty options available to you which will be cheaper than going to purchase another printer.

I worked on behalf of HP.
HP Recommended

Handy,

Thanks for the tip.  Called support, have 6520e printer arriving tomorrow, not free but not full ticket price either.

HP Recommended

I also changed my black ink cartridge in my HP Photosmart 5514 and now it will not print black.  The colors work fine, just no black. I have cleaned the print heads several times, done the secondary clean several times, tried page allignment, purchased 3 new print catridges,  turned it off and restarted it.  I have plugged it into a new outlet, I cleaned the head of the cartridge and the printer. Nothing has worked.  Please help me.  The printer ran out of ink, I bought a new cartridge, I put it in, that is all I did to it.  I have a "genuine HP black ink cartridge 564".  It is not a refilled, refurbished, used, ect. ink, it's brand new.  I'm thinking it would be better to just buy a new printer......it won't be an HP printer.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.