Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

I had same issue as all your other nice people on this forum.  After wasting time providing all required information and getting The Private Email and requesting status on private email - I have after several months not received any solution, refund,  coupon or apology for a faulty product.  

HP Recommended

Hello @Amo63,

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact.

Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post serial numbers and case details.

Thanks,

HevnLgh
I work on behalf of HP

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" to the left of the reply button to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

My HP Photosmart 5514 is having the exact same issues. I have used it with no problems for a couple of years and upon installing a new black Genuine HP cartridge my printer stopped printing black ink. Followed all troubleshoting steps in the guide mentioned in this forum and still it is not working after trying all steps several times. No amount of cleaning is working.  I cheked and my device is out of warranty. I am located in the United States in Hawaii. Thank you for the assistance.

HP Recommended

Hevnlgh - you appropriate HP team is non responsive - can we stop fooling the people that there is a real resolution. I had provided product serial number and all other requested details several months back.  The private message thing is getting played out. 

This issue makes me think everytime I buy electronics - recently needed a new laptop or work team and went with lenovo. 

Its a shame HP can not follow through on a widely reported product defect. 

HP Recommended

I'm having the same problem as well.  My warranty is expired, I've gone through every troubleshooting step and tried everything I could find on any related issue throughout the forums, and I've tried three different black ink cartridges.  It's not the cartrige, it's the printer.  When I print the Printer Status page, no black ink prints at all.  When I print a document, the print is very pale blue.  If I use the Copy function, it prints black fine.  Please HELP!  I need to print a 300 page document before I go on a trip Tuesday and the only way I can get text to print is by porting it to a program that will allow me to change the text color to dark blue instead of black.  However, this document is a PDF that's secured, so I can't do that with this one.  If I have to buy a new printer to print, you can bet it won't be an HP.

HP Recommended

@ellonwheels

My own personal recommendation, not one of HPs, is to use the solution offered in the following video.  I only suggest doing this if the printer is out of warranty; How to fix a HP Printer, not printing black ink and missing colours

Based on the comments, it looks like this will help :smileyhappy:

As for the document you need ASAP- You can select glossy photo paper as the media type (even if printing on plain paper) and the document would print.  This will be slower, and will use color ink to render the black text but may work for you.

You can also try copying and pasting into another program or save it as a different file extension?

I hope this helps!

HevnLgh
I work on behalf of HP

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" to the left of the reply button to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

My HP Photosmart 5514 is having the exact same issues. I have used it with no problems for a couple of years and upon installing a new black Genuine HP cartridge my printer stopped printing black ink. Followed all troubleshoting steps in the guide mentioned in this forum and still it is not working after trying all steps several times. No amount of cleaning is working.  I cheked and my device is out of warranty. I am located in the United States in HMichigan. Thank you for the assistance.

HP Recommended

Hello @sendreszl,

Seeing as the printer is out of warranty were you able to try my earlier recommendation:

How to fix a HP Printer, not printing black ink and missing colours

Based on the comments, it looks like this may help :smileyhappy:

If you are still unable to print in black ink, please call our technical support at http://www.hp.com/contacthp/ to see all available options. If you live outside the US/Canada Region, please click the link below to get the support number for your region. http://www8.hp.com/us/en/contact-hp/ww-phone-assist.html

I hope this helps!

Thanks,

HevnLgh
I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

I have read through screen after screen and found no answer to this black ink problem for the HP5514.  I also did all the common things I have read and there has been no fix so far.  Please help.

HP Recommended

The black ink is very light or not at all. I even put in a new ink cartigage and it still not working 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.