Question

Honor Student
sgoga
Message 1 of 3 (136 Views)

HP Photosmart 5520 All-In-One Printer

I have two Photosmart 5520 printers.  When installing a new black cartridge, it won't print black ink.  I have used only HP cartridges.  One printer after cleaning print head and aligning a couple of times, finally started working.  The other printer won't work.  Have cleaned the print head and aligned through the Tools option about 4 times.  Still no black ink.  I thought print heads were part of the ink cartridges, but I'm thinking they are not.  How do you take this apart to clean the print head?  This printer is just over a year old and not used very often.  I'm very disappointed in this printer and happen to have two of them.  Because of these issues with both of the printers, this will likely be the last HP product I buy.  Oh, and I tried a second new black cartridge and that wasn't the issue.  Have now paid for two cartridges and neither work.

HP Support Agent
MissTeriLynn
Message 2 of 3 (108 Views)

Re: HP Photosmart 5520 All-In-One Printer

Hello sgoga and welcome to the HP forums!

I'm sorry to hear that one of your two Photosmart 5520's is not printing the black ink despite your best efforts. I will absolutely do my best to assist you in finding a resolution though :smileyhappy:

You had asked how to take the printer apart to clean the printhead, and the short answer is you can't, or more that you shouldn't. The printhead in the Photosmart 5520 is a fixed printhead, meaning it is not meant to be removed, although that doesn't seem to stop all of our customers :smileywink:

I will suggest that you have a look through this Printer Does Not Print Black Ink or Color Ink, or Prints Blank Pages document, and if the problem still persists after trying those steps, please let me know whether the printer is in or out of warranty and what country you're located in. Feel free to private message me the country information if you don't want it on the forums.

Hope to hear back from you soon so we can get this resolved for you!

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post resolved your issue, as it will help others find the solution faster :smileyhappy:
Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" on the right to say “Thanks” for helping!

**MissTeriLynn**
I work on behalf of HP
Honor Student
sgoga
Message 3 of 3 (99 Views)

Re: HP Photosmart 5520 All-In-One Printer

Thanks for replying back.  I am in the US.  The printer is out of warranty, it's just 1 year and 6 months.  After reading many posts, this seems to be an occurring problem on these printers.  The cost to ship back and pay for repairs is likely not worth it.  I will junk the printer, the other one will likely be going soon as it has been having the same issues off and on.  Replaced today with another brand.  Done with HP and their issues.  It's too common.  Not worth the hassles.  

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation