Question
HP Photosmart 6510 unable to print black ink/copy
Replies (214)

Distinguished Professor
Kyle_W
Message 11 of 215 (4,369 Views)

Re: HP Photosmart 6510 unable to print black ink/copy

I just sent you a private message with the steps, I hope they help!

Best of luck,

Kyle

-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------
Signature
Top Student
fblalock
Message 12 of 215 (4,336 Views)

Kyle, I wasn't able to view your "private message" but I was able to get your suggestion from "bradbrusa" who posted the same problem right after I did.  I don’t think this fix is applicable to the 6510.  You referred to the “BL and TL buttons” and the “right arrow.”  As near as I can tell, these instructions apply to a different printer.  On the Home screen of the 6510 the bottom left is the “Photo” function and the top left is for the “Apps” function.  There are no arrow indicators, other than the return arrow that lights up as you proceed through the menu options.  I found some additional insight into our problem on non-HP sites, and I believe those responses may be more indicative of our problem, which is a print head clog.  On some HP printers you can easily remove the print head and rinse it out with water, let it dry (up to a few days), reinstall, and it works.  I don’t believe the 6510 print head can be removed without tearing into the guts of the printer.  Your help is appreciated!

Student
rcs352
Message 13 of 215 (4,331 Views)

My 6510 will not print black ink.  I've tried all of the suggested solutions on the HP Help website w/o success.  Any ideas.

Honor Student
rmsherwood99
Message 14 of 215 (4,302 Views)

[ Edited ]

Kyle, can you send me the reset instructions? Having same problem of not printing in black. Have tried all the solutions listed with no success. Thank you.
{Personal Information Removed}

Distinguished Professor
Kyle_W
Message 15 of 215 (4,280 Views)

fblalock,

When I referred to BL and TL, the BL button is the u-turn shaped arrow and the TL is the home or house shaped icon. These are located on the actual outside of the touch screen and only light up when you are doing different things in the touch screen. They are the navigation controls if you will. The right arrow will not display until you make into the menu. 

rmsherwood99,

I can private message the steps to you, I can't email them. Do you also have the 6510?

-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------
Signature
Top Student
fblalock
Message 16 of 215 (4,271 Views)

Kyle, yes I do have the 6510.  As I stated earlier I wasn't able to view the instructions in your "private message," but I got them from bradbrusa who has the same problem.  Getting back to your latest reply, I now understand the actual icons for the TL and BL buttons but your instructions stated to press those first.  To do that, you have to activate them by pressing one of the Home screen icons or the help ("?") key.  Then when pressing the BL button, both the BL and TL buttons "deactivate" and you return to the Home screen, and can not proceed further with your instructions.  Pressing the unlit BL and TL buttons has no effect.  Obviously there's something I'm missing here!

Distinguished Professor
Kyle_W
Message 17 of 215 (4,255 Views)

The keys do not have to be lit up. You actually want them to be turned off or not showing. You just have to remember the location of where the buttons where. IF you have the printer in a brightly lit room, it is a lot easier to see them. You can also use a flashlight.

Best of luck,

Kyle

Signature
Top Student
fblalock
Message 18 of 215 (4,243 Views)

Kyle, I tried this before I wrote my last post.  Same results tonight:  nothing!  I'm positive that I pressed the correct spots for the BL and TL.  I attempted this with the printer power "on," as well as "off," just in case.  I've pressed every button and icon on the display pad, in nearly every possible sequence, and I've yet to see any of the prompts that you refer to.  I can't believe that I'm doing this wrong; your instructions are simple.  Try to get your hands on an identical printer - my 6510 (B211a or CQ761A) is a little more than 12 months old - and see if you can determine what "we" (there are others trying the same thing) are doing wrong.  Thanks

Distinguished Professor
Kyle_W
Message 19 of 215 (4,226 Views)

I just went and hunted down a 6510 and tried the steps out myself and it popped right into the menu. I'm honestly not sure what you are doing wrong. You may not have the correct list of steps. I went ahead and sent you another private message with the steps and included an image that my help you locate the right buttons. 

Best of luck,

Kyle

Signature
Top Student
fblalock
Message 20 of 215 (4,199 Views)

Thanks Kyle - this solved my problem and my printer is up and running!  I really appreciate your patience!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation