Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

I'm having the same problem and am very frustrated.  My Photosmart 6520 is not printing black ink.  I have tried everything suggested on the hp website except call HP support because it says I may be charged a fee, as my printer is out of warranty.  I have looked at the forums too.  Nothing is working.  Any advice? I had just replaced the color ink cartridges prior to replacing the black cartridge & now all the color cartridges are almost empty from cleaning printheads, etc so many times trying to fix the problem with the black ink.  I'm not happy with the notion that I have may have to go buy a new printer.  

HP Recommended

Hello AMYINOH,

I understand your frustration, and see you have completed ALL steps listed here on your HP Photosmart 6520: Printer Does Not Print Black Ink or Color Ink, or Prints Blank Pages with no success.

I understand the PS 6520 is out of warranty, to better assist you can you please let me know which Country/Region you are in?

I hope to hear from you soon.

Thanks,

HevnLgh
I work on behalf of HP

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" to the left of the reply button to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

I am having the same issue.  I have completed all the steps listed with no luck.  I am from the United States.  Please advise on what my options are.

HP Recommended

Hello bzimmer,

Welcome to the HP Support Forums! :smileyhappy: I see you are running into some print quality issues on your HP Photosmart 6520, you are unable to print in black ink after replacing the cartridge.

I would like you to continue here: Printer Does Not Print Black Ink or Color Ink, or Prints Blank Pages, I understand you may have done some of these steps already but I need you to complete all steps in order to resolve the missing black issue you are experiencing.

Please note: There are three printhead cleaning stages. Complete all three stages if necessary. If the printhead is badly clogged, it might require another cleaning cycle. If so, wait 30 minutes after the last (third) cleaning stage to start the first stage of the cleaning process over again.

If you are still unable to print in black ink, I suspect the issue may be the printer and not the cartridge. Please let me  the product Warranty status: HP Warranty Checker

I hope to hear from you soon.

Thanks,

HevnLgh
I work on behalf of HP

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" to the left of the reply button to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended
I'm in the USA.
HP Recommended

AMYINOH,

Thank you for the requested information, I have sent you a Private message on the Forums, please go to your Userpage to the right of your Username you will see your inbox.

HevnLgh
I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

I have completed all the steps with no luck.  I checked my warranty and it says that my warranty expired in July 2013.

HP Recommended

bzimmer,

Thank you for the requested information. I have sent you a Private Message on the Forums, please go to your Userpage to the right of your Username you will see your inbox.

HevnLgh
I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

the only thing that worked for me was to replace the ink cartridge. 

HP Recommended

Hello

I am in the UK, I have exactly the same issue, I have cleaned printheads three times, and nearly used up my new magenta catridge and used the remaiens of yellwo and cyan (so these are all new).  I now have perfect colour printing but NO balck bars in the "Black" Print Quality Diagnostics.  My waranty expired on 31st January 2014.

I have followed all the instructions in the supplied page.

I am pretty sure the cartridge is not at fault as I can get black to come out of it onto a pice of tissue held against the outlet.

Can anyone help?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.