Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

I have this printer and the black ink just ran out. I replaced it and it does not give me an error message/the levels of the  black ink show that it is full BUT the black is not printing at all. I've followed all the steps to align/clean the printer head etc, I've turned the printer off and it is still not working. The printer is just under 2 years old, out of warranty...any ideas how to fix this? I called Best Buy and they said it could be an issue with the printer head and may be cheaper to buy a new one. I've been a long time HP computer/printer user and if this can not be fixed at no cost to me, I may never buy HP again!!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@JB_2014 

As this is a 6520 I'd advise calling HP Phone Support (even though it's out of warranty), as you may require a replacement. Can you please let us known how you get on?

http://welcome.hp.com/country/us/en/wwcontact_us.html

Thanks, Ciara

I am speaking for myself and not for HP. Twitter: @Ciara_B_27

View solution in original post

99 REPLIES 99
HP Recommended

@Stephy97 

I'm going to send you a private message (check out envelope at top right)

I am speaking for myself and not for HP. Twitter: @Ciara_B_27
HP Recommended

Someone gave me this great advice and it worked for me, hope it works for you:

Not sure if this will help anyone...but it did resolve my problem.   I found a couple of links on how to fix a clogged ink cartridge and even though my cartridge was brand new it turns out that it was clogged!   You may want to try following the steps for fixing a clogged ink cartridge at http://www.ehow.com/how_5431920_fix-clogged-ink-cartridges.html  or http://www.ehow.com/video_4974250_manually-clean-hp-inkjet-cartridge.html     on that second link, I just followed the steps for the first option and that finally fixed the problem for me!     I tried using warm water and left the cartridge in there for about an hour with no luck but when I used hot water the next day and left it in there for about 15 minutes the cartridge was finally working!    I am not saying that it will fix your problem but I had tried 3 different (new) cartridges and none of them would work but after following steps to fix a clogged ink cartridge they all now work (now to figure out how to keep the other 2 fresh in the meantime)

Good Luck!!

HP Recommended

Same problem... Just out of warranty, 2 black cartridges later, so much color ink wasted printing status pages and still nothing black printing. Tried to vent and unclog the cartridges. Nada. Getting very tired of HP.

HP Recommended

i have same problem

please send email--[edited by Moderator]

olemary

HP Recommended

Hi @oldmary ,

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forums. I'm sorry to inform you that your post has needed some editing to remove personal information such as the email in  your post. From our Rules of Participation:

Protect privacy - yours and others'. Don't share anything about yourself that you would not want to see on a road-side billboard. Don't post contact or other personal information-your own or anyone else's-or any content that you receive in one-to-one communications without the author's consent. For example, don’t post your computer’s serial # or contact information publicly, and do not allow someone you don’t know to remotely take control of your computer.

If you need people to contact you directly, either ask them to send you a private message or subscribe to the thread so you will be notified when there are replies. You may also click on your name anywhere in the forum and you will be taken to your profile page, where you can find a list of threads you have participated in.

Sharing personal email addresses, telephone numbers, and last names is not allowed for your safety. If you have any questions feel free to send me a private message in reply.

Thank you
George

I work for HP
HP Recommended

Hello LawKlerk & oldmary,

I understand you are not able to print any black ink after replacing the cartridges on your HP Photosmart 6520. I would like you both to start here: Printer Does Not Print Black Ink or Color Ink, or Prints Blank Pages.

Please make sure to complete ALL steps listed in the troubleshooting document. If you are still not able to print in black ink I would like you to contact our technical support at 800-474-6836. Regardless of the warranty status, I am confident they will be able to assist you.

If you live outside the US/Canada Region, please click the link below to get the support number for your region. http://www.hp.com/cgi-bin/hpsupport/index.pl

Thank you,

HevnLgh
I work on behalf of HP

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" to the left of the reply button to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

I put a brand new  black ink in - checked to see if clogged (wasn't) and printer will not print in blank. It is out of warranty. Very frustrated.

HP Recommended

Hi elkkees,

Welcome to the HP Support Forums! Smiley Happy I see you are not able to print in black ink after replacing the cartridge. Please make sure you have completed ALL troubleshooting steps listed here: Printer Does Not Print Black Ink or Color Ink, or Prints Blank Pages

If you are still unable to print in black after the steps have been completed, please let me know which Country/Region you are in.

Thank you,

HevnLgh
I work on behalf of HP

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" to the left of the reply button to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

Hi elkkees,

Just checking in, wondering if you were able to try my earlier recommendations?

Please let me know,

Thanks,

HevnLgh
I work on behalf of HP

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.