Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

Hi @JoeK2012,

Thank you so much for your continued efforts, as stated in my earlier post I highly recommend you call our technical support at 800-474-6836, I trust they will be able to assist you regardless of the warranty status. If you live outside the US/Canada Region, please click the link below to get the support number for your region. http://www.hp.com/cgi-bin/hpsupport/index.pl

Thanks,

HevnLgh
I work on behalf of HP

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" to the left of the reply button to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

Hi @JoeK2012

Welcome to the HP Support Forums! :smileyhappy: I see you are running into some print quality issues on your HP Photosmart 6520, you are unable to print in black ink.

I would like you to continue troubleshooting here: Printer Does Not Print Black Ink or Color Ink, or Prints Blank Pages, I understand you may have done some of these steps already but I need you to complete all steps in order to resolve the missing black issue you are experiencing.

Please note: There are three printhead cleaning stages. Complete all three stages if necessary. If the printhead is badly clogged, it might require another cleaning cycle. If so, wait 30 minutes after the last (third) cleaning stage to start the first stage of the cleaning process over again.

If you are still unable to print in black ink, I suspect the issue may be the printer and not the cartridge. I highly recommend you call our technical support at 800-474-6836, I trust they will be able to assist you regardless of the warranty status. If you live outside the US/Canada Region, please click the link below to get the support number for your region. http://www.hp.com/cgi-bin/hpsupport/index.pl

Thanks,

HevnLgh
I work on behalf of HP

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" to the left of the reply button to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

I have now the same problem. Suddenly the black ink does not print any more, printer no longer has warranty. Ink levels are fine.

Did the cleaning of printerhead several times, no result.

I can only find one option to clean the printer head. So I do not know what these three fases are that are suggested in the support text.

Have not yet contacted support. I am in Europe/Netherlands

HP Recommended

@planejane,

Yes, please contact our technical support at 800-474-6836. If you live outside the US/Canada Region, please click the link below to get the support number for your region. http://www8.hp.com/us/en/contact-hp/ww-phone-assist.html

Thanks,

HevnLgh
I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

Same issue here - very disapointed esp as just put in a XLS genuine cartridge 

HP Recommended

I am commisserating with the foregoing posts.  No black from a brand new HP cartridge.

Only difference is that my printer is a HP Photosmart 6510.

Printer was working fine but running out on black ink.  Drove out to Staples, and bought a new cartridge.  Back home, after installing the new cartridge, no black on the test pages.  (Maybe the barest hint of black on some pages.)

Went through all the troubleshooting.  Installed and ran the Print and Scan Doctor.  For the specific test page produced by the scan doctor, I see some very faint text.  For the black color bands, which should go dark, medium, light.  I see the lightest band first, and then middle gray and light gray.  So it appears that grayscale might be working bt it is just full black that is missing?

Please help.  My son is depending on this printer for his college papers, and this is causing a lot of stress.

HP Recommended

Hevnt.gh,  you keep posting the same thing over and over instead of helping us fix a problem with the printer. I called the technical support number three times now. The first time I was on the phone 40 minutes with the result of them trying to sell me a replacement printer. The next time 30 minutes before I got tired of being on hold and hung up. They called me back and told me I needed to buy a new HP printer and they would give it to me for $71. I told them I have no interest in buying another HP product and when you call tech support they should not be just trying to sell stuff instead of giving you support and helping you fix a problem. If I can't figure out how to get this working on my own I will buy an Epson or Cannon printer. No more HP's.

HP Recommended

I am in the US with the same issue as well. . . 

HP Recommended

Can you stop posting this reply because they did NOT help me regardless of my warranty status, they wanted me to pay for an upgrade!

HP Recommended

Same problem here...no black ink.  I have tried all the steps in the support link that I saw posted...no luck.  I haven't called support, but now after reading the posts here, I am not sure I want to.   Time to break away from hp, I suppose.  My 2 year old hp laptop just had its hard drive crash and now this printer issue... :manfrustrated:

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.