Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Printer is leaving off top half of every third line when printing documents on my computer. However, no problem when printing from internet. Also, I seem to have lost the pick box for "Printer Services" to "Clean the Print Heads"? Appreciate any help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Good afternoon Miss TeriLynn,

Wanted to let you know that after putting in a new print cartridge my printer seems to be working fine again - Praise The Lord!  THANK YOU for all your assistance, it was much appreciated,   Ricky1

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Hello Ricky1 and welcome to the HP forums!

I see you have a Photosmart C4680 that is cutting off some lines in your prints, but it does seem to depend where you're printing from. I will certainly do my best to assist you in resolving this issue.

Are you able to print a Status Report without issue (instructions taken from this Paper Jam document)?

C4780StatusReportHowTo.JPG

If that prints out okay, I would suggest that you download and run the HP Print and Scan Doctor and see if it has any diagnosis to offer you (also assuming you are using Windows).

What program does the issue seem to occur in?

Hope to hear back from you soon Smiley Happy

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" on the right to thank me for responding! 🙂

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post resolved your issue, as it will help others find the solution faster!

**MissTeriLynn**
I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

Good morning MissTeriLynn,

Thank you for responding.  I was able to print the status report per your instructions. On the, some lines of print were smudgy looking and also had white lines through them that didn't print.

I do not see the problem when printing articles from the Internet. It happens when I print Word, Excel or other software documents.

I am using cartridges from Cartridge World, but have not experienced this before. I have replaced the cartridge with a new one from Cartridge World, which prints ok for a few sheets and then has the same problem. In fact I sometimes get a print cartridge error. Cartridge World checked out the cartridges and says they are ok and perhaps there is something wrong with the printer software?  

The problem seems to have started when I had a paper missfeed and the ink printed on top of itself due to the misfeed.

I was able to use correct the problem for a short time by using the Printer Servises - Clean Print Cartridge utility. However, now the Printer Services selection box does not appear any more so I can't clean the cartridge?

I have downloaded and run the HP Print and Scan Doctor which says "Everything checks out ok with your product."  I am using Windows 7 Home Premium.   Thanks for your help.

HP Recommended

Good day Ricky1,

Thanks for the reply!

I can see where you're coming from, but if the status report is also missing some lines, I believe it is the printer/cartridges that are the issue. The status report is a hardware test, as it has nothing to do with the software, so for it to also be having issues indicates the issue is not software related, but hardware.

I would recommend that you start by following Step six: Clean the area around the nozzles in this Troubleshooting Print-Quality Issues document. There are other good steps within this document so if that doesn't help, please try the other steps as well.

With the cleaning the printhead via the HP Solution Center, are there other options missing or does that appear to be the only option missing from the tool?

Hope to hear back from you soon!

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post resolved your issue, as it will help others find the solution faster!

**MissTeriLynn**
I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

MissTeri,

Thank you for the info. I will look into cleaning the nozzles per instructions you provided, but I do not believe that is the problem. I will take the cartridge to Cartridge World" to have them check it.

Regarding cleaning the printhead via the HP Solution Center - I no longer have the selection button "Printer Services"  on the "Features" tab, so I can't get to any of the options?

Much appreciated,   Ricky1

HP Recommended

Hi Ricky1,

Thanks for that update 🙂

With the Solution Center, we may have to do an uninstall/reinstall to get the options to return, but in the meantime you can try using the HP Print and Scan Doctor to run the utilities. If you download and run the tool, select your printer and click Next you will get a screen saying either something is missing or to click Fix Printing or Fix Scanning. If you look towards the top of the screen you will see File, Network, Printer and Help to select from, and under Printer there will be a Printer Services button. If that is not greyed out you should be able to run a clean printhead or alignment from there.

PSDRServices.jpg

Let me know how everything works out for you!

**MissTeriLynn**
I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

I did get to the Printer Services button and was able to get to the "Clean Prin thead" selection. However, when I selected it nothing happened. Same with the other selections like cartridge alignment.  Any further suggestions?  I agree with your thought of doing an Uninstall and Reinstall - please advise how you would suggest doing that. I see it is possible to do under Print Doctor??

Appreciated,   Ricky1

HP Recommended

Hi Ricky1,

On that note, I believe it would be best for you to use the HP Print and Scan Doctor to uninstall and reinstall the printer, and I thank you for letting me know the tool didn't work for those printer services!

Let me know how the uninstall/reinstall goes 🙂

**MissTeriLynn**
I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

Good evening Miss TeriLynn,

I did the Uninstall and Reinstall and was able to use the Print Doctor to get to the Printer Services button and run the "Clean Print head" selection. However, I am still missing the "Printer Services" button that used to be available when printing a document. I installed a new Color and Black cartirdge and I am still getting white lines through the text? I did another "Clean Print head" and still am getting half primting in some areas of a document? The crazy thing is that it only happens when printing documents on my computer - when I print from the Internet, everything seems ok? Rather frustrating - I am thinking about buying a different printer.

Appreciated,   Ricky1

HP Recommended

Wanted to let you know that after putting in a new print cartridge my printer seems to be working fine again - Praise The Lord!  THANK YOU for all your assistance, it was much appreciated,   Ricky1

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.