HP Photosmart C5280 "Print cartridges: Refer to documentation" (10402 Views)
Honor Student
riufaan
Message 1 of 13 (10,402 Views)

HP Photosmart C5280 "Print cartridges: Refer to documentation"

I have a HP Photosmart C5280 printer yester day also it work fine. Today when I power on the printer it display a message "Print cartridges: Refer to documentation" and i can do anything. I search the net and do every resetting procedure mentioned. I have change the cartridge also i am using hp genuine cartridges. but nothing work for me. please help me. what i can do. Its not possible to take any service center coz here there is no service center. If it is a hardware problom maybe i can fix with your help.

Thanx in advance.

Associate Professor
Daniel_L
Message 2 of 13 (10,390 Views)

Re: HP Photosmart C5280 "Print cartridges: Refer to documentation"

Hi there riufaan!

I'd recommend following the troubleshooting steps within this article for a resolution to your issue:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01611456&tmp_task=solveCategory&cc=us&dlc=en&la...

Hope this helps!

Help the community by marking this post as a solution if it solved your issue!.

If my post helped you in any way, please click the blue KUDOS star under my name! It would mean a great deal. :smileyhappy:

Honor Student
Irukandji
Message 3 of 13 (10,387 Views)

I am experiencing this same problem. This morning the printer printed the first document in the queue, but would not print the second document. An orange alert light was flashing and the warning about Printer Cartridges & the Printer Documentation was on the display screen. I was not able to clear the alert by pushing the 'ok' button, or by using the arrow buttons.

Following the instructions from your link, I cleaned the contacts of the printer cartridge (and allowed to dry). Now, the printer will make photocopies, but won't print documents (not Word files, not pdf, nothing). The warning light is no longer flashing.

Any suggestions on where I go from here?

Honor Student
riufaan
Message 4 of 13 (10,351 Views)

Have done every thing but nothing happen. error is still there. I have check the cartridges with another printer they work fine. what els to do. Don't you HP people have a fix for this. where can i get firmware for this printer?

Thank you.

Honor Student
Irukandji
Message 5 of 13 (10,348 Views)

Hi Riufaan,

How old is the Photosmart C5280? Mine was more than 5 years old, which is ancient for a printer. I tried replacing the ink cartridges, but that didn't help at all.

I think that HP will not give us an answer because they want to sell more printers.

My solution: I bought an Epson NX230 (all-in-one printer/copier/scanner) for $49.99 + tax. It works just as well as the Photosmart, for about the same cost as 2 new HP printer cartridges.

Associate Professor
Daniel_L
Message 6 of 13 (10,342 Views)

I'd say to try a power reset. The issue sounds like it is stemming from the printer itself. 

Here is a link with instructions.

If my post helped you in any way, please click the blue KUDOS star under my name! It would mean a great deal. :smileyhappy:

Honor Student
Irukandji
Message 7 of 13 (10,335 Views)

The instructions from your latest link are actually part of 'Step 6" from your previous link (which I tried). Unplugging the printer, and then plugging it in again didn't work the first time. Why would you think it would work with repeated attempts?
Associate Professor
Daniel_L
Message 8 of 13 (10,329 Views)

Irukandji,

The post was directed towards the OP.

riufaan, are you still getting flashing lights on the printer when you did a reset and reseated the cartridges? Are any additional errors, lights, or symptoms being displayed?

If there are no other symptoms occuring and you've exhausted all of the troubleshooting you may want to contact HP customer support:

(800)474-6836

You can also visit http://www8.hp.com/us/en/contact-hp/phone-assist.html#section1 for more information

Student
irochtx
Message 9 of 13 (9,365 Views)

I have tried changing the tri-color ink cartridge.  The orange light keeps flashing and the message says refer to printer documentation.  I can't find anything.  Can anyone help?

Student
brettmanf
Message 10 of 13 (7,761 Views)

My printer is having the same problem and it is pretty ancient.  I think it is just the printer dying of old age.  My problem is that HP no longer makes printers able to print directly to CD/DVDs so I had to switch to Epson for a replacement. Way to alienate your loyal customers HP.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation