Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Yes as a matter of fact I replaced all the inks - could have bought a new printer for less. I have since managed to get it to print different colors but not the colors that are called for?

CWAG

HP Recommended
Thanks to the HP employee, this trick fixed my printer. THANK YOU!!!
HP Recommended

Thanks, Ciara!

I had to swim a little around in the menu structure that popped up, though - it did not display as you mentionned in your advice, but - at last I found an entry in the menue that allowed me to set the printerheads to "Clear" or "Set" (?). I selected "Clear", and from that point, I could exit the menu & the printer worked.  It took me about 30 minutes, checking out each corner in the menu structure (just for the kick of it)- but there was a lot of info to obtain from it, so it was well worth it.

I know, I know....  why bother at all, when a new printer is so inexpensive (and a lot mode advanced today, I bet).. but you have this C7280 printer already standing there, and I will rip it to atoms attempting to fix it rather than just dump it... call me cheap.. but I have an operative printer. again. 🙂

HP Recommended

@Anders_Arlberg 

Glad it's sorted 🙂

I am speaking for myself and not for HP. Twitter: @Ciara_B_27
HP Recommended

HP Photosmarts:

C3210, C3310, C5180, C5183, C6150, C6180, C6188, C6288, C6288, C7160, C7180, C7268, C7280, C7360, C8250, D7460 and all other Photosmart fixed inkjet head printers
This printer has six colors and no less than 12 inkjets, two for every color. A Fine inkjet for printing fonts and a wide inkjet for larger areas such as pictures and graphics. Each inkjet is made up of several lines or vents.
Note, Black Fonts use only black ink, Black graphics use a conbination of magenta, blue, yellow and black.
Troubleshooting:
1. Press * and # at the same time, and then release both keys.  This will open the Mfg Commands Menu and say;  “Enter Special Key Combo”.  

2. Press 123. "Support R0045" will apear.

3. Press Right Arrow Cursor button:  (uiaux Menu)
    Once for:    Information Menu > Info menu
    Twice for:    FAX Diag Menu > Run FAX Test > Reset FAX Params > Change FAX Params > FAX Param Report > FAX Trace Report > Speaker Mode > Ring Monitor > CNG Monitor > Signal Monitor....  Repeat.
    Three Times:    Print Tests Menu > Nozzle Test.   Pressing OK gets you this:
http://forum.naddabiz.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=269

4. Press OK on one of the three Service Menus.

5. Press CANCEL several times to back your way out as needed or until the normal screen appear.

LCD Screen & Cursor Test
Play Pong Game:

1. Press * and # at the same time, and then release both keys.

2. The display should read “Enter Special Key Combo”. Press 7664.
3. A yellow paddle appears. It moves only Horizontally using the right & Left Cursor Keys.
4. Press OK to pitch ball.
5. Press Cancel to exit.

Extended Self Diagnostic Test
1. Press OK & Cancel Button simultanously

Semi-full reset
This will reset the All-in-One to the factory default settings by using these instructions:

1. Unplug the power cable from printer while the printer is powered on.
2. Press and hold Plus (#) and 6 while plugging in the power cord.
3. Repeat steps one and Two, Two more times for a total of three times.
This will perform a maintenance cycle upon the third restart.

Now you may want to print a self test report by pressing "Setup" and then 1, then 1 again. or Clean the heads by Pressing Setup > 5 > 2  

OOB NVRAM RESET  (Remove Air in Hydrolic lines)
1. Turn Power off using power button.
2.  Hold down the CANCEL & OK buttons & keep them held while powering on the printer.
Keep them held till the printer shuts itself back off. (It will shut off without you hitting the on/off button.)
3.  Then power it back up normally by hitting the on/off button. It will warm up normally except it will display a message "OOB NVRAM RESET" & it will then do about 3 minutes of priming & pumping up the ink in the tubes that run from the cartridges to the print head.
4. You then can run a test print in the tools section.
YOU MAY HAVE TO DO THIS PROCEEDURE AS MANY AS 6 TIMES.  IT WILL EVENTUALLY GET ALL AIR BUBBLES OUT OF THE SYSTEM.

Semi NVM Reset
1. Unplug the power cable from printer while the printer is powered on.
2. Press and hold the (#) and 6 buttons while plugging in the power cord and keep both buttons depressed for at least five seconds.
3. Printer will shut off
4. Press Power on and unit will begin the Semi NVM reset.
The unit will clean its heads and the pump will cycle several times to prime the hydrilic lines and purge out any air.
Then a Maintaince cycle will begin.

Burping method
http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Other-printing-questions/HP-Photosmart-C7280-Black-Ink-won-t-print/m-p/...

Complaints
http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Other-printing-questions/HP-Photosmart-C7280-Black-Ink-won-t-print/td-p...

HP Recommended

Thanks so much for your help with the ink system...it is working...genius!

HP Recommended

Thank you for this tip... Worked for me... Strange I called HP and they could not sort it out...

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.