Question
HP Photosmart printer won't print black
Replies (203)

Honor Student
holaby
Message 131 of 204 (1,817 Views)

Re: HP Photosmart printer won't print black

Well. I have a 5510. Worked allways perfect. some days a go i bougth for the first time the xl version( before that always used the normal version). and it did not work. i tried everything ( exept the headthing,im not that expert) But nothing. So now  i think it is : 1. The cartridge is not functional,which i doubt. 2. A bug,probebly. 3. Somthing to do with that it is xl version 4. Something to do with that that on the market the 364 cartridges have now new chips,thats look diferently,in whitch case a new firmware could help?

Honor Student
samhain
Message 132 of 204 (1,786 Views)

I have a Deskjet 3070A which refuses to print black...just stopped yesterday! Bought a new cartridge today still nothing. I have spent most of the day trying to get this piece of ****  working and all I have succeeded in doing is running down my colour cartridges. 2nd Epson in 1.5 years (last one had to be replaced because the lcd screen stopped displaying). Would I buy again? NO! 

Honor Student
Missdee
Message 133 of 204 (1,766 Views)

[ Edited ]

My 5510 stopped printing black after I cleared a paper jam.  Thought I'd broken it.  I've read all the posts here and realise I have a dodgy printer. I don't see a permanent solution in the whole thread.  Just throwing my issue into the ring!

I've tried all the tips & solutions aforementioned. My printer is a few months out of warranty.  Just wondering what to do with this new looking useless carcase.  I too am a disillusioned, used to be loyal, HP customer.

Honor Student
samhain
Message 134 of 204 (1,721 Views)

After 2 days of messing about and using nearly all my ink today it works ok again...I have NO idea why!

Honor Student
holaby
Message 135 of 204 (1,696 Views)

Same here... 2 day nothing,I treid everything.

sudenly yesterday began to work.... was soooo happy.. til today in the morning when i found out that it does not working.

Then i tried everything to fix it,i mean everything.* restarting,uninstalling,setting wireless off, default settings, changing cartridge(s). and even paper. tried messing with with various settings. nothing.

As i said in earlier post:  it began with the new type of cartridges(it has a new type of chip that look differently.( u can find on youtube how the old and the new does look.)

Is that the bug or something else. I have noooo idea.

Student
Snowbroaj
Message 136 of 204 (1,670 Views)

I had the same prob. Black would not print. Its HPs crap ink dried out in the print head. So like a previous post take out the inks and remove the case - has a lever on the side. Rinse the stupid thing under hot water for a coulpe mins -water didnt hurt it. Then let it soak for 5-10 mins. I actually blew into the screen as hard as i could to loosen it. And finally after like 30 mins black ink started coming out. Dried it off and it works now. Good luck to you, sorry my printer is c310 forgot to say that. HP u suck, everyone on these forms and u dont have time to answer! To busy getting crap ink form china
Honor Student
coffeewithcloud
Message 137 of 204 (1,641 Views)

glad that worked for you ;I didn't have the same luck printed the page from app fine but won't print black ink when I try printing anything else crazy it will print test page perfetly and anything from the app but anything else black is  missing

Student
pikeye68
Message 138 of 204 (1,620 Views)

i currently am using a hp c410 printer and have had the no black ink death.  i removed the ink cartigages and then the printhead assembly.  then i soaked the printhead assembly in a shallow bowl of hot water covering the printheads for about 5 minutes.  after that i rinsed the printheads with hot running water until they ran clear.  i let the prinhead assembly dry on a paper towel overnight.  this morning i used a blow dryer and tried the printhead assembly as best as i could.  finally reinstalled everything with the power cord unplugged.  the printer ran the setup and tried to do an alignment but failed like in the past.  but and this is a jlo butt, the c410 now prints in black ink!  for how long, who knows?  i am still thinking about trashing this pos printer and buying an epson even though i have used hp printer for a while.

Student
lmor
Message 139 of 204 (1,480 Views)

[ Edited ]

Black was not printing even after I replaced the cartridge today.  I did 'clean cartridge' 5 times but it still didn't work.  Finally I removed all the cartridges and the printhead by lifting the latch.  Turned th printhead around and the whole base was so dirty stained by dry and wet black ink.  Took a piece of super soft tissue paper and started clean up very gentle with the two strips of metal moving in vertical direction along the metal.  (**WARNING:  I read somewhere about not touching the metals and leave them alone, maybe you should do so)  I used up 3 pieces of tissue papers just to clean the area reasonably well.   Then I replaced the printheah and the cartridges... did a test print but there were still missing lines and faded patches so I perform "clean cartridge' a couple of time and did test printing twice with slight improvement.  Then I printed a full color page twice and finally it turned out perfect. 

I am not a technical person but I think the last few printings finally got the ink flowing smoothly to the printhead again.  Cleaning the metals kind of 'soak' up ink (maybe a small reservoir in there) so maybe it's better to leave that area alone.  Just hope it works the next time I use the printer! 

Student
kmmcp
Message 140 of 204 (1,405 Views)

I have a C309a that stopped printing black about a week ago and I had tried replacing the cartridges, cleaning the print heads - all that kind of thing.  It's probably about 3-4 years old so I thought I was up for a new printer.

After turning to Dr Google in desperation I ended up here and read a suggestion about printing a page using the 'Quick Forms' app (mine has it as a button on the front but you can probably get to it elsewhere as well) and it worked!!  I did have to do another print head clean to get good quality again but now its all back (or all black) to normal.

Thanks for the helpful posts.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation