Question
HP Photosmart printer won't print black
Replies (203)

Top Student
billposter44
Message 201 of 204 (4,688 Views)

Re: HP Photosmart printer won't print black

It seems to be possible that it could be a software problem, but most likely I would say it is a hardware problem. I tried a complete reinstall on my 6510 and it printed the test photo perfectly. After that, nothing I tried would persaude it to print black again. This included two more reinstalls and installing on a different pc with a different operating system.

My guess is that most likely a lot of these problems relate to faulty connections. The more you mess with the printer, the greater the chance that the connection will make, although most likely it will then fail again soon after. Naturally you then attribute the temporary success to whatever you did, whereas in reality any procedure which caused the printer to perform an action - particularly a different action from usual - might have similarly produced a temporary "fix".

Obviously I'm guessing like everyone else - but unless HP wakes up and decides to address the problem (I'm not holding my breath) a definitive solution is likely to remain elusive. 

Top Student
billposter44
Message 202 of 204 (4,687 Views)

Best of luck! Please post if this works for you. Cleaning didn't work for me and my 6510 seemed to be assembled around the cartridge carrier, so removing it wasn't a practical option.
Honor Student
flowerfly
Message 203 of 204 (4,637 Views)

[ Edited ]

I have a Photosmart C410.  Just installed a new Black Cartridge, so I put the old one back in, Nothing.  Aligned, Cleaned, Printed, Unplugged, Turned off, Nothing. So a few hours later...... Read all the comments from 2009 to current, and most said to pull the Print Head Assy out and cleanse with warm water and clean off electrical contacts.  Fixed my problem.   http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01794817&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&jumpid=reg_r1002_us...

Regents Professor
Ciara_B
Message 204 of 204 (4,050 Views)

Nils-D wrote:

One more thing I forgot to mention:  Yesterday, when I was able to get 2 pages to print, the printer was not connected to wi-fi.  Today, when I went to print, it was connected, and it said the printer needed to update.  I let it go through the whole update process, and it was after that when my printer was once again unable to print in black. 

Is there any chance the HP software updates are somehow blocking the black catridge's printing?

Hi Nils-D, is your printer still in warranty? If so I would recommend contacting HP phone support as you may require a replacement printer.

Ciara

Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.
Twitter: @Ciara_B_HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation