Question
HP Photosmart printer won't print black
Replies (203)

Honor Student
DarkFreedom
Message 101 of 204 (7,582 Views)

Re: HP Photosmart printer won't print black

i used ink, so it reacts differently. Alcohol by design evaporates quickly, wheres using ink to prime ink didthe trick for me. i had a lot to print (more than my drop of ink would have allowed for) today, and it's still going strong now.

Honor Student
Honor Student
Zé
Message 102 of 204 (7,557 Views)

I have washed the trade where the ink cartdriges are inserted and now the printer doesnt print and it appears this:

Ink system failure

0xc19a0013

Turn off and on the printer

I have repeated the process and i continue to get the same problem any help please?

Student
Dorrdor
Message 103 of 204 (7,552 Views)

Didn't work for me :smileysad:

Top Student
hp_printer_ac
Message 104 of 204 (7,498 Views)

My HP Photosmart 5510 will not also print black. I did everything mentioned in the forum, clean printhead, remove and reinstall cartridge, replaced "new" cartridge, ran the utilities everything. Since my printer was already out of warranty and it seems like there was no more fix, I decided to disassemble it and do what other websites are saying which is to remove the printhead and "wash" it.

Disassemble I did and removed the printhead. Then I soaked it with water first, I was careful not to wet the electronics behind it. Mixed up a cleaning solution made of 500ml water, a few drops of dishwashing soap and 30 ml of alcohol. I used a syringe to wash the bottom of the printhead. Then just to be sure I washed it with pure alcohol.

I was sure it will not work again after I disassembling it but it did and I did a clean cycle and a purge print of black ink only. Now black printing was revived! I was so close to throwing this out of my second floor window.

Couple of things I learned from this 2 weeks of grief episode:

-If there is a missing color, always go for the printhead. Most of the time it is blocked.

-The printhead for the HP Photosmart 5510, can be taken out. You just need to be brave enough to remove the top cover, then the printhead is only held by two springs. Once you remove those then the printhead comes out very easily. Instructions for removing the top cover can be found online. ( Not exactly the 5510 but on similar models)

-The clean printhead cycle eats up a ton of ink. I tried to do it without the top cover on and I was able to see how much ink that thing is sucking up from the printhead. I could not believe it before when I saw the low ink warning on the new cartridges I installed after doing just "3" clean cycles, but after seeing that I knew why.

Do not despair, there is still hope!

Student
meMagne
Message 105 of 204 (7,475 Views)

Hi

I had the same problem with my HP Deskjet 3070A only that it was the cyan color it could not print. There was no sign of ink on the sheet of paper after countless 'clean printhead'. Suddenly I saw a very thin trace of cyan after a 'print quality report' and then I decided there might be hope! Instead of spending huge amounts of ink doing more 'clean printhead' I found the cyan color in word and wrote there lines of letters in different sizes. At first I did not find the correct cyan color so there was also pink appearing at the sheet, but after some trial and error I found it. Then I started printing again and again, and what was in the beginning only some microscopic dots started to appear more and more like letters. After 31  (and 1 more 'clean printhead') prints it was fixed without wasting black, magenta or yellow color.

It is not possible to disassemble the printheads with the HP deskjet 3070A as far as I know, so I could'nt manually clean them.

I hope this may be of some help to anyone facing the same problem as I did!

Magne

Tutor
old-john
Message 106 of 204 (7,465 Views)

[ Edited ]

Having installed a new HP364XL black ink cartridge in my 5510 in early December and having tried all the recommended solutions I could find without success, I posted to this thread on 16th Dec.

After more priming with 'Clean Printheads' I gave up and borrowed a printer, which eventually had to be returned and to-be-printed  items started mounting up.  So I came back to the thread and read your idea, DarkFreedom.

Before adding drops of black ink, I tried once more to print a document in black  . . .surprise, it printed OK!  

I don't believe the threat of adding ink drops can affect an inanimate printer, nor that the printer responded to Christmas and New Year goodwill!  Maybe it can take a few weeks for ink to flow into the printhead, though this seems unlikely as the original catridge was still printing properly when the warnings led me to take it out and replace it with the new cartridge -- there should have been a continuous stream on ink to the printhead already.

I do note that sometimes people have reported success in getting black to print, only to find that it stops again shortly afterwards.  So I'm nervous each time I select print and hear the printer roll in the paper  . . .wondering will black appear.

Anyway if if does fail again, I can try your solution, DarkFreedom.  Thanks for the suggestion.

Tutor
old-john
Message 107 of 204 (7,454 Views)

hp_printer_ac wrote:

I did a clean cycle and a purge print of black ink only. Now black printing was revived!

Hi hp_printer_ac

it seems you have useful experience.

I haven't found a command to clean the printhead of only one cartridge, so  I've wasted ink from the cartridges that were working OK.  How did you use the clean cycle on just one, remove the other cartridges or what?

hp_printer_ac wrote:

-The printhead for the HP Photosmart 5510, can be taken out. You just need to be brave enough to remove the top cover, then the printhead is only held by two springs. Once you remove those then the printhead comes out very easily. Instructions for removing the top cover can be found online. ( Not exactly the 5510 but on similar models)

That's good news for 5510 owners.  Not relevant for me right now (my black is currently working again), but can you give all 5510 owners watching this  thread a link to the online instructions?  Looks as if you need to take out 4 screws with non-standard heads.

Student
Luesli
Message 108 of 204 (7,401 Views)

Have just read all the correspondence as I have the same problem with my 5510. I am willing to take it apart and clean a printhead, but it strikes me that the suddenness with which it stops working makes the explanation of accumulated ink an unlikely one.

The software update explanation makes sense, and I did update in the last few days, but I also inserted a new cartridge.

On examining the cartridge closely and comparing with the old one that worked, I have one thing to report which puzzles me. The new black  cartridge (and I have bought 3, all the same), doesn't have the little black bump next to the contact points (4 copper strips). It is just not there. The new colour cartridges do have this, so I wondered if there was any connection with the malfunction. I bought them from 2 different sources and they look bona fide but it seems odd.

Has anyone else noticed this?

ELW Honor Student
Honor Student
ELW
Message 109 of 204 (7,397 Views)

Photosmart eStation C510 printer stopped printing in black.  The colors work fine.  Does anyone have a solution?

Top Student
Triarii1
Message 110 of 204 (7,391 Views)

My 5515 has just stopped printing black after putting in a new HP XL364 cartridge. No error messages, no dramas except pretends black is there but blank pages / spaces where its meant to be.

I have Googled the 'black bump' issue and its an HP change but should still work. (bump is apparently now under the chip).

As I have warranty left (3 months) I shall be calling HP and refusing to do all the things that I have already done - like everything on this thread! New printer or refund please.

Very poor service from HP.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation