Question
HP Photosmart printer won't print black
Replies (203)

Regents Professor
Ciara_B
Message 11 of 204 (29,732 Views)

Re: HP Photosmart printer won't print black

Hi as499, so the black appearing as grey is happening on both cartridges? Do you have an example printout you could post here to the forum?

Thanks

Ciara

Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.
Twitter: @Ciara_B_HP
Tutor
as499
Message 12 of 204 (29,721 Views)

Here is the test page...no black ink.  Like I said, I put two new black cartridges in there, and I've cleaned the inside where the cartridge goes, as well as the cartridge heads.

scan0001.jpg

Intern
jnossoff
Message 13 of 204 (29,718 Views)

Wow!  Identical problem here!  I have tried every diagnostic, test page, clean print heads, put in new black cartridge, re-booted device, etc. etc.   Just suddenly after 6 months of excellent printing, I get nothing from the black print cartridge, even with a new cartridge.  On-screen cartridge level indicator indicates black cartridge is 99% full.  Printhead alignment will not work

My Device is a Photosmart Premium Fax e-All-in-One PRINTER  C410 Series, Product CQ521A.   

Will not print any black whether copying, printing, or receiving fax.  I currently use 2 HP printers at home, and 4 at work.  This is about my 20th HP printer in over 25 years, so I know how to use the "tools" and diagnostics, and thisone has me stumped!

WAIT!  I just selected "Apps" from the device control panel, hit "O.K.", and then printed some "Quick Forms" (e.g.: calendar, blank to-do list, etc.)  which DID PRINT IN BLACK!.   After that, the device is HEALED and prints and copies in black.  Just ran test pages and everything is back to normal.  Coincidence? It was a random attempt, using an "on-board" App that I had never used before.  If you have the "a"Quick Forms" function try it and let us know what happens.  I think "Quick Forms" must be stored in the device firm-ware.

Tutor
as499
Message 14 of 204 (29,690 Views)

Hmm...I don't know where you found any of that.  I have Windows 7, and usually use HP Solution Center for anything with the printer.  Could you be more specific on where to find this?

Intern
jnossoff
Message 15 of 204 (29,684 Views)

as499 wrote:

Hmm...I don't know where you found any of that.  I have Windows 7, and usually use HP Solution Center for anything with the printer.  Could you be more specific on where to find this?

You won't find it on your PC or at HP Solution Center.  You have to go to the physical control panel of the actual HP printer, and if it has those buttons/functions,  find them.  Because it is in "firmware" (I think) it is independent of your PC.  Some things arrive installed by HP in the memory in the printer, and do not require a PC or software to function.  In this case, instead of printing an image sent from your PC, or printing a copy from the scanner glass, you are printing a form that HP "hard wired" into the printer.  It is not a "report"; it is a library of "forms", such as: a blank "to do" list, a blank calendar page, etc. etc.  Your particular HP PhotoSmart may not have that function.  I have an HP PhotoSmart All In One-copy, scan, fax, print, less than 1 year old.

And, it may be sheer coincidence that this operation re-set my black printing, but if you have the function it is worth a try!   If it works, I imagine it is not an intentional "fix" from HP, just a happy coincidence.

And, I can't help but wonder if our HP firmware has a "feature" programmed into it that commands "Stop printing black on March 13, 2012"!  :smileyfrustrated:

Top Student
beachinmoney06
Message 16 of 204 (29,669 Views)

[ Edited ]

Interesting that you should say after March 13, 2012. That's when mine stopped printing Black. I bought a new cartridge yesterday. I have an Officejet Pro L7780. I have only printed a little over 3000 things. Excuse my french but this is total BS. {Content Removed: Language Filter Evasion}. They have done nothing but cost me money. They made me loose a business as well. Now this!

Tutor
as499
Message 17 of 204 (29,667 Views)

Yes, none of these posts have worked for my printer as of yet...so if an HP employee could please help, I'd appreciate it.  Not looking forward to buying a new printer.

Intern
jnossoff
Message 18 of 204 (29,658 Views)

My brand loyalty to Hewlett Packard goes back over 25 years when both Hewlett Foundation and Packard Foundation supported our eductional programs, and our office was gifted one each of every PC and laptop and printer and PC software that HP manufactured.

That said, by this time I should be on a first name basis with HP Tech Support.  HP printers are a challenge to keep operating.

HP makes getting tech support very, very difficult.  They "improve" their web sites to and make it harder and harder to "contact us".

I have no experience with Epson, Kodak, or other printers, so I don't know if HP is better or worse.

HP was formerly known for rock-solid, highly reliable products, used in science and industry.  In about 1987 I got one of their first laptops and it was solid as a rock.  I dropped it twice on concrete floors, and it took a licking and kept on ticking.   Today you are fortunate if it survives the warranty period.  Then you get an HP web site telling you (erroneously) that your warranty has expired!

Top Student
mathtech
Message 19 of 204 (29,651 Views)

I have tried everything mentioned in this forum, and then some.  I've even trien printing from different computers, with cable and wirelessly, copy via scan, ...every single thing that I can think of.  The weird thing is, this just happened in like 2 or 3 days, with no warning.  One time it printed great...then I go to print my CV and out comes streaky papers in grey scale at best with gaps on the page.  I guess that's why I purchased the best buy replacement plan, so I don't have to buy a new one.  What a pain though, geesh.  What gives?!?  At the top of this screen I read "HP SUPPORT FORUM"

This seems to be a BLATANT LIE to me at this point.

Intern
jnossoff
Message 20 of 204 (29,645 Views)

It is a forum of HP USERS, so that HP can claim they support their users.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation