Question
HP Photosmart printer won't print black
Replies (203)

Honor Student
azcurlygurl
Message 21 of 204 (30,858 Views)

Re: HP Photosmart printer won't print black

I tried the magical fix, and unfortunately, it didn't work for me. The quick forms that are in black came out blank, and everything I printed afterward, came out as before, either grey or blank. I have a Photosmart Premium All-in-One C310 Series. 

I'm so frustrated with HP. I had an HP laptop, which broke and was irrepairable 1 1/2 years after purchase. I was wise enough not to replace it with another HP laptop. I guess I should have known they would build the printers to break just out of warranty as well. I've had my printer just over a year.  

Honor Student
broerkenmle
Message 22 of 204 (30,839 Views)

Thanks to all those users for their help.  The issue is finally resolved and I can print again.

Intern
jnossoff
Message 23 of 204 (30,827 Views)

broerkenmle wrote:

Thanks to all those users for their help.  The issue is finally resolved and I can print again.

Would you please share the solution with the rest of us?

Tutor
as499
Message 24 of 204 (30,824 Views)

Yes, please share.

Regents Professor
Ciara_B
Message 25 of 204 (30,633 Views)

Re: HP Photosmart printer won't print black (reply to mathtech - PS 5510 printer)

Hi mathtech

You have a Photosmart 5510, right? Have you checked that the cartridge is vented properly?

Troubleshooting print quality issues

If a vent is clogged, clean it carefully with a pin.
Figure 11: Properly vented
Image: Unclogged vent
Figure 12: Clogged vent
Image: Clogged vent

Ciara
Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.
Twitter: @Ciara_B_HP
Regents Professor
Ciara_B
Message 26 of 204 (30,631 Views)

Re: HP Photosmart printer won't print black (msg for as499 - DJ F4180 printer)

Hi as499

Are you using the latest driver? has anything changed within the print settings?

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareCategory?cc=us&dlc=en&lang=en&lc=en&product=3177566&

Ciara

Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.
Twitter: @Ciara_B_HP
Honor Student
azcurlygurl
Message 27 of 204 (30,621 Views)

I tried printing again, two days ago, without doing anything more to my printer and it magically prints in black again. Since it is connected to the Internet, and remained connected the entire time, I can only assume that HP effed up with a firmware update, didn't let any of us know what they had done, and quietly sent down a fix. Shame on you HP. I'm just glad that I waited to buy another printer, suspecting this error, due to all the posts with the same problem that occurred at the same time on many different printer models.
Top Student
mathtech
Message 28 of 204 (30,603 Views)

Re: HP Photosmart printer won't print black (reply to mathtech - PS 5510 printer)

Clara, thank you for your response, and yes I do have the Photosmart 5510 model.  I did fix my problem, but I'm not sure what EXACTLY I did because I took 3 hours one day in my frustration and just had an all out assault on my poor hapless printer LOL.  Here's what I did (to the best of my recollection), but I did not check after each iteration- I just did all of these things in the sequence below, and only then tried to print from a file.

>Unplugged power cord, 1st from printer, then from power strip.  Walked away for like 15 minutes, uttering curses.  Reattached cord to printer, then back to power.

>Powered on.

>On my Mac, went into the HP Utility, then clicked on the device information page.  Went back to printer and turned off the wireless, walked away for 10 minutes, then came back and turned wireless on.  Utility on the Mac had refreshed the settings.

>Opened the printer lid. Took out each cartridge and examined each print head (all looked ok). Wiped them down.  Kissed and carressed them. While all cartidges were out, closed lid and let printer say "HEY! I NEED CARTRIDGES!".  Opened lid and sprayed out where the cartidges are seated. Replaced cartridges.  Took cartridges out again and replaced them again.  Then did it again.  Closed hood.

>From printer screen: cleaned print heads, aligned print heads, cleaned ink smear.

>Went to my Samsung PC laptop.  Opened HP Utility.  Cleaned and aligned print heads from there.

>Printed test page...still streaky and crappy with almost no black, but color squares showed up well ...there is hope!

>Went back to my Macbook Pro (2008, Intel, fyi). Restarted it.  Printed my CV.  It Worked!

>Have not tried to print from the PC yet (it's my wife's).  If anything happens again, I'll just blame her LoL.

If I printed a test page after each of these steps, I would have burnt through like 16 cartridges, so my suggestion is to not do that.  Just try an all out barrage of stuff like I did.  If you have access to a Mac and PC, try stuff from both.  Try to plug in using a cable instead of wireless.  Just try everything you can think of.  Try stupid stuff, like trying to print with no cartridges in.  I dunno, I feel like I got lucky.  Good Luck folks, I wish the best for you :smileyhappy:

Tutor
as499
Message 29 of 204 (30,590 Views)

Re: HP Photosmart printer won't print black (msg for as499 - DJ F4180 printer)

Yes, I have the latest drivers installed...black still doesn't print.

Top Student
beachinmoney06
Message 30 of 204 (30,539 Views)

I tried those things as well. Thanks though.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation