HP Photosmart printer won't print black (36030 Views)
Regents Professor
Ciara_B
Message 31 of 204 (50,703 Views)

Re: HP Photosmart printer won't print black (reply to mathtech - PS 5510 printer)

Hi mathtech - glad to hear the issue is now solved!

Must have been the kissing & carressing :smileywink:

Ciara

Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.
Twitter: @Ciara_B_HP
Regents Professor
Ciara_B
Message 32 of 204 (50,700 Views)

Re: Won't print black (reply to beachinmoney06 - OJ Pro L7780 printer)

Hi beachinmoney06

So just to confirm what steps you've taken and we'll see what else we can do.....

- Printhead has been cleaned?

- Ink levels are ok?

- Printhead is sitting securely & making proper contact with printer?

- Using latest SW / driver?    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareCategory?cc=us&dlc=en&lang=en&lc=en&product=2512010&

Troubleshooting print quality issues

Ciara

Intern
jnossoff
Message 33 of 204 (50,635 Views)

Re: HP Photosmart printer won't print black

O.K., it is April 12, one month later, and the problem has returned.  I tried my own "app" solution and that did not work. I am going to ask HP for a replacement under the warranty.

jnossoff wrote (on March 13):

Wow!  Identical problem here!  I have tried every diagnostic, test page, clean print heads, put in new black cartridge, re-booted device, etc. etc.   Just suddenly after 6 months of excellent printing, I get nothing from the black print cartridge, even with a new cartridge.  On-screen cartridge level indicator indicates black cartridge is 99% full.  Printhead alignment will not work

My Device is a Photosmart Premium Fax e-All-in-One PRINTER  C410 Series, Product CQ521A.   

Will not print any black whether copying, printing, or receiving fax.  I currently use 2 HP printers at home, and 4 at work.  This is about my 20th HP printer in over 25 years, so I know how to use the "tools" and diagnostics, and thisone has me stumped!

WAIT!  I just selected "Apps" from the device control panel, hit "O.K.", and then printed some "Quick Forms" (e.g.: calendar, blank to-do list, etc.)  which DID PRINT IN BLACK!.   After that, the device is HEALED and prints and copies in black.  Just ran test pages and everything is back to normal.  Coincidence? It was a random attempt, using an "on-board" App that I had never used before.  If you have the "a"Quick Forms" function try it and let us know what happens.  I think "Quick Forms" must be stored in the device firm-ware.

Honor Student
klmoseley1988
Message 34 of 204 (50,626 Views)

Same problem here , I have tried everything!! HELP

Regents Professor
Ciara_B
Message 35 of 204 (50,585 Views)

Hi jnossoff,

Sorry to hear the problem came back. Please let me know how you get on after contacting HP phone support for a replacement...

Thanks, Ciara

Student
motomadman
Message 36 of 204 (49,943 Views)

Re: HP Photosmart printer won't print black (reply to mathtech - PS 5510 printer)

c5140won'tprintblack,replaced cartridge

Honor Student
GenaD-P
Message 37 of 204 (49,377 Views)

I had the same problem. I finally fixed the problem by cleaning the printhead: > - Setup - Tools - v - Clean Printhead.

Student
eagleUSA
Message 38 of 204 (49,302 Views)

azcurlygurl wrote:

I tried the magical fix, and unfortunately, it didn't work for me. The quick forms that are in black came out blank, and everything I printed afterward, came out as before, either grey or blank. I have a Photosmart Premium All-in-One C310 Series. 

I'm so frustrated with HP. I had an HP laptop, which broke and was irrepairable 1 1/2 years after purchase. I was wise enough not to replace it with another HP laptop. I guess I should have known they would build the printers to break just out of warranty as well. I've had my printer just over a year.  

Top Student
LoisBryan
Message 39 of 204 (48,891 Views)

well, add me to the long list of frustrated customers.  I have the HP Photosmart 5510.  Everything was cooking along great when it up and decided that all 4 cartridges were empty at the same time. Hmmm.  They didn't LOOK empty, and I rarely if ever use the colored cartridges, but since I'm trying to run a business here and didn't have time to argue with the thing, I went ahead and replaced everything.  At first, had problems with the black, but I got hold of HP tech support (God how I hate that computer asking me questions!!!) and was told to run the clean print head function.  I did, and the black came back.  

Yesterday, 4 days later, I'm printing along, jolly as can be.  Printed three copies of a document, put another in the platen, hit print ... and nothing.  zip.  nada.

Did all the things they say to do ... waste of time ... including the cleanig the print head (rapidly losing ink, here, by the way) ... and still no black printing.

Tried the "app" idea ... not working for me.

Now, I HAVE seen a suggestion about taking the cartridge carrier thingie OUT and putting it in hot water for 5 mintues .. but I'm no mechanical whiz kid, so I'm NOT seeing instrucitons on HOW to take the carriage thing out ... anywhere.  I've LOOKED at it ... jiggled it ... but nothing acts like it wants to come loose.

Any ideas???

Anyone???

Top Student
tcdude
Message 40 of 204 (48,733 Views)

[ Edited ]

Sorry to hear this. What the heck is going on with all of these HP printers that won't print black text. Here is my story. OK, this is the craziest thing I have seen in a while. My HP printer that has worked flawlessly for years with my Windows XP PC, printed an incomplete page. I tried to print the page once more, it went through the motions of printing, paper feed, printer head went back and forth. When I looked at the page there was no text printed at all, not a trace. Okay, so I must be out of ink, checked the level in tools and it said about a quarter was left. The heck with it, lets put a new ink cartridge in. Did it, checked the level again, now full. Printed the same page and it went through the motions of printing, paper feed, printer head went back and forth. When I looked at the page there was no text printed at all, not a trace. I tried the printer from my laptop, same thing. My wife PC, same thing. So the printer must be dead. This is where it gets crazy! I had a new printer from a combo PC purchase I made in December. I installed the NEW HP D1341 printer, drivers, everything went fine. I printed the test page which is two pears (fruit) in COLOR and it printed fine. Great I am back up and running. Tried to print the page that failed on the old printer and the same thing happened. Tried printing new document nothing. Tried copy and paste to a new blank page, nothing. Are you kidding me! Tried the new printer from my laptop and the same thing happened, no text. My wife PC, same thing. It will print in Paint, in color and black. It will print from HP software when printing pictures in color and black and white. It will print from my email suite (Thunderbird) in color and black. It won't print in Open Office in color or black. It won't print in Word, in color and black. It won't print in Word Pad or Note Pad in color and black. New printer, new ink, I don't understand. PLEASE HELP ! Thank you for your time. Windows XP, USB cable, HP Deskjet D1341

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation