Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP301 Cartridges

My printer passed away so I've replaced it (with a super HPOfficeJet Pro 8610!) BUT I'm left with a dozen colour and Black HP301 cartridges. The original boxes were recycled a month ago when I put the sealed cello-wrapped (original wraps) on the shelf. A man is buying them off me but says there is no expiry dates. They have numer sequences such as (on two black carts bought same day):  MYS4 160300 140927 0325 and MYS1 160300 140916 2000. Any ideas on cracking this Da Vinci-style code to tell me making date or expiry date!!? Many thanks, Dave.  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

The date printed on the cartridge is in YYYYMMDD format as shown in the document here.

The date printed on the outer wrapper may be the date of manufacture, which would be two years before the end of warranty date.

In any case, the date of your cartridges is September (16 or 27) 2014.  I am not sure of the outer package for the cartridge has the end of warranty date or the manufacture date - you may need to open one package to verify which.

Note that the date shown for warranty is not an expiration of the cartridges, only for the warranty.  The HP 301 cartridges do not "expire" in the sense that they would stop working at the expiry date.  There are very few cartridges that enforce cartridge expiration, see the document here for information on cartridge expiration.  

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

The date printed on the cartridge is in YYYYMMDD format as shown in the document here.

The date printed on the outer wrapper may be the date of manufacture, which would be two years before the end of warranty date.

In any case, the date of your cartridges is September (16 or 27) 2014.  I am not sure of the outer package for the cartridge has the end of warranty date or the manufacture date - you may need to open one package to verify which.

Note that the date shown for warranty is not an expiration of the cartridges, only for the warranty.  The HP 301 cartridges do not "expire" in the sense that they would stop working at the expiry date.  There are very few cartridges that enforce cartridge expiration, see the document here for information on cartridge expiration.  

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

Nice, comprehensive answer and useful link. Thank you - it answers what I asked! Dave.

HP Recommended

My interpretation of the HP wrapper code is as follows:

The first four digits indicate the country of origin (MYS4 comes from Malaysia).

The next six digits indicate the 'install by' date (160300 means March 2016).

The third set of digits is the manufacturing date, typically 18 months before the 'install by' date. So 140927 means 27th September 2014.

The last four digits? Perhaps some sort of check sum.

If you were to open the wrapper (and it is not airtight so no harm done, really) I expect you will find the 'warranty end' date printed on the cartridge to be 729 days after the manufacturing date - in the case of your first example, 24 September 2016, in the form "2016/09/24".

HP Recommended

YOU'RE PERFECTLY RIGHT....

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.