Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

This post sounds like my problem with one addition issue: http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Printer-All-in-One-Install-Setup/I-have-a-HP-Officejet-J6480-All-in-One...

The carriage is jammed to the right, and there is a piece of plastic (that looks like it belongs there) that is preventing me from removing the ink cartridges.  There doesn't appear to be any thing jamming the carriage.  I cannot find any way to move the piece of plastic and I cannot slide the carriage either direction.

I do not hear any grinding when the carriage tries to move.  It sounds like the carriage settling into position when I turn on/off.

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

This is an old post, but it looks like quite a few people have looked at it.  Here's a video for resolving a carriage jam on the j6480.  

I am an HP employee.
HP Recommended

Hi. I know it's been awhile, but did you ever find out how to fix your printer? I have the same problem. That little plate that sits directly in front of the ink carts, doesn't drop down as it should. And therefore, I can't remove my ink cartridges either, because that plastic plate is blocking them.

HP Recommended

I don't remember the problem I had with this computer, but I do remember emailing a computer repair shop and reaching the conclusion that it would be cheaper to replace the printer than to try and repair it.  I have a vague memory of being told that he probably couldn't get the part to repair it any way.

HP Recommended

I now have this exact problem with my HP J6480 and apparently a lot of other people do too given the number of views for the original post.  Unfortunately, the video that HP posted here and elsewhere does not address the problem at all.  The carriage is not stuck because of any foreign material like paper; it is jammed because some internal mechanism within the printer is locking it in place.  This is very frustrating and surely should have a solution by now.

HP Recommended

Same problem. Went through the six steps. No paper jams anywhere. The black plastic piece in front of the cartridges has arisen to prevent removing the cartridges. There is nothing blocking the cartridge tray. This error or whatever happened after using OpenOffice Writer to open and print a docx file. Is there some connection between HP and Microsoft causing this problem?

HP Recommended

Same exact problem with my j6450.  There is a platform in front of the print cartridges that looks like it should move lower to clear out so that the cartrigdes can move freely.  it is stuck, and the cartridge tray will not budge even with force.

This is a frustrating time sink.  I seem to be able to keep HP printers for 2 to 3 years and they just crap out for strange reasons like this.  It seems like these are made to breakdown like lightbulbs.  The most irritating part is that I have expensive spare print cartridges that will likely not fit any neew model that I purchase.

HP Recommended

Why has HP remained silent and offered no solution except perhaps - buy HP again?  Really?

This problem seems too small for a fix to not be disclosed.

HP Recommended

I was wondering if anyone ever found the fix for the cartriage jam in their J6480?  I now have the same problem with no paper or foreign object jammed.   I am only able to move the cartrige carrier a few centimeters to the left and then it jams.  I have loved having this printer and really hate the thought of getting a new one.  😞 

HP Recommended

Any fix noted for this? Have had this printer for many many years, now as in these posts some mechanism has raised and prevents carriage from moving. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.