Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hi

1. Product Name and Number :

HP Photosmart 5520

2. Operating System installed (if applicable)
     Windows 7 64-bit

3. Error message (if any)

No error message

4. Any changes made to your system before the issue occurred

Used Greentec HP 564xl ink pack  opposed to the HP genuine ink cartridges.

THE PROBLEM:

I'm not sure if this is a printer problem or an ink problem.

I never had an issue with my printer while purchasing HP original ink (564).

I started getting problems a month into using a Greentec HP 564xl pack (remanufactured inkjet cartridges) which state "Using Greentec remanufactured cartridges will not void the statutory warranty of your printer".

I have attached a picture of what happens and gradually each page gets worst to the point the pictures look like they have a orange/pink "filter" used on them which obviously they shouldn't have.

I have done multiple "clean printheads" and "clean ink smear"  which don't seem to work. However, after a week of not using my printer, it seems to print pictures like normal but after the 3rd consecutive page , the streaking starts to appear (very mild) but as the pages keep printing it gets worst.

printer ink prob.JPG

Here is a scan of the Print Quality Diagnostic. (black has tiny lines, blue is full..i don't know..pink and yellow seem fine.

Scan.jpg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi bbjae,

Welcome to the HP forums!

I'm sorry to hear you've been having issues with your Photosmart 5520 since switching to a generic brand of ink, but I will certainly do my best to help!

Since the problem only started once you switched to the generic brand of ink I am inclined to name it as the culprit to your issue, but that doesn't mean we can't try some troubleshooting anyhow Smiley Happy

I will recommend that you begin with trying the steps within this Fixing Ink Streaks, Faded Prints, and Other Common Print Quality Problems document and you can also try the steps within this Printer Does Not Print Black Ink or Color Ink, or Prints Blank Pages document.

If the problem still persists, it may be time to look into switching back to HP brand cartridges, because if those two documents can't fix the issue I would then feel much more confident in pinning it on the cartridges Smiley Wink

Let me know how things go for you!!

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" on the right to thank me for responding! 🙂

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post resolved your issue, as it will help others find the solution faster!

**MissTeriLynn**
I work on behalf of HP

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi bbjae,

Welcome to the HP forums!

I'm sorry to hear you've been having issues with your Photosmart 5520 since switching to a generic brand of ink, but I will certainly do my best to help!

Since the problem only started once you switched to the generic brand of ink I am inclined to name it as the culprit to your issue, but that doesn't mean we can't try some troubleshooting anyhow Smiley Happy

I will recommend that you begin with trying the steps within this Fixing Ink Streaks, Faded Prints, and Other Common Print Quality Problems document and you can also try the steps within this Printer Does Not Print Black Ink or Color Ink, or Prints Blank Pages document.

If the problem still persists, it may be time to look into switching back to HP brand cartridges, because if those two documents can't fix the issue I would then feel much more confident in pinning it on the cartridges Smiley Wink

Let me know how things go for you!!

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" on the right to thank me for responding! 🙂

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post resolved your issue, as it will help others find the solution faster!

**MissTeriLynn**
I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

Hi **MissTeriLynn**

I have done everything as outlined in the two files as linked in your post (except changing the ink to genuine ones) and the problem still exists.

I will let you know if changing back to genuine Hp ink fixes my problem as soon as i finish the current set that is in the printer as i don't exactly want to end up with an opened spare set if it's not the ink...it's not exactly cheap stuff when all your doing is printing test sheets..

Thanks for your help though and i'll get back to you as soon as i can =]

cheers

HP Recommended

Hi **MissTeriLynn**

so I finally decided to replace my ink, however i just replaced the "blue" one as i suspected that was the culprit and low and behold it was all good again.

I never buy  generc ink as in the past with different HP printers, alot of problems occured and i've realised by sticking to original ink these problems have been something of the past.

However with Greentec statement "Using Greentec remanufactured cartridges will not void the statutory warranty of your printer". I thought it was a brand that HP approved of so i thought the quality would be just the same as the original HP ink  and i wouldn't be going through all these problems. It does make me question the authenticity of Greentecs statement though.

thanks for your help though.

Cheers

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.