Question

Honor Student
tsuribaka
Message 1 of 4 (183 Views)

HP6520 How can I use a new, but protected, 564 XL ink cartridge from my broken 6510 printer.

My 6510 failed after just over one year of use.  I salvaged a brand new 564XL ink cartridge to use in my new 6520.  Message says - HP protected cartridge installed.  Replace Cartridge. 

I have three more new cartridges from the 6510, color, that likely will have the same problem when I install them.  How can I get them to work in my 6520.

HP Support Agent
RnRMusicMan
Message 2 of 4 (148 Views)

Re: HP6520 How can I use a new, but protected, 564 XL ink cartridge from my broken 6510 printer.

Hi tsuribaka,

Welcome to the HP Forums! I understand that you are trying to use the HP 564  XL ink cartridge, from your broken HP Photosmart 6510 with your new HP Photosmart 6520. I am happy to help you with this issue!

In order to use those old cartridges, you must first use the setup cartridges that came with the new printer, in order for it to initialize. Once you put in those old cartridges the setup cartridges will become unusable. I recommended using up the setup cartridges first, then use the old cartridges that you have.

Make sure to store the old cartridges, in an air-tight container, such as a zip-lock bag, or a Tupperware container. In a cool, dry place.

Hope this information helps you, and thank you for posting! :smileyhappy:

RnRMusicMan
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" to say “Thanks” for helping!

Honor Student
tsuribaka
Message 3 of 4 (145 Views)

Re: HP6520 How can I use a new, but protected, 564 XL ink cartridge from my broken 6510 printer.

Thanks for the guidance, but it did not respond to the issue.  I have used up the black setup cartridge and tried to install a all-but-new black cartridge that I had previously installed in my broken 6510 printer.  I stored it for about a month as directed by HP.  However, upon installation I got a message that the cartridge is protected and to order a new one.  How can I unprotect the cartridge and use it in my new printer.  I am going to suffer the same problem when I try to use two all-but-new color cartridges from my old printer.

HP Support Agent
RnRMusicMan
Message 4 of 4 (141 Views)

Hi tsuribaka,

Please see this guide on incompatible ink cartridges. 'Incompatible Ink Cartridge' or 'Indicated Ink Cartridge Must Be Replaced' Message Displays on the C....

Otherwise, please call our technical support at 800-474-6836. If you live outside the US/Canada Region, please click the link below to get the support number for your region. Country-language selector.

Hope this helps you, and have a great day! :smileyhappy:

RnRMusicMan
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" to say “Thanks” for helping!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation