Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
HP laserjet m277dw
Microsoft Windows 7 (32-bit)

I have a color laser printer HP m277dw, bought two weeks ago. After about 10 pages it started printing horizontal lines every 22-23 mm. They are best visible on one color background. The are even visible on demo page with balloon.

Support were not able to see them on scan I sent by email, but they say that it may be possible these lines are ok for this printer (???).

They are awful and extremely disappointing, can you confirm this is a normal operation of the printer?

I used plain paper, and default settings for printing from my pc. Sometimes I also get spills of toner on a page in different places, sometimes even on the back of the page.

I tried cleaning imaging drum with soft cloth, it helps with spills and also makes lines less visible but only for a few next printed pages. I also tried to do calibration and page cleaning, but no success.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/u4n3y7k67pic6yt/IMG_1426.JPG?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/afl549df6cmu23y/IMG_1427.JPG?dl=0

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I can see the lines and they are not normal for any laser printer that HP makes.

I would suggest trying some different solid color pages that mix colors like a green page, and maybe a red page.

You might also see the problem in the print quality pages that were mentioned by the previous poster.

You just need to get something where support can see you have a problem and then be insistent that they fix it.

But let's be practical here, you bought it less than two weeks ago, return it and get another, it's probably only a defective toner cartridge but you shouldn't be having to fight HP support to get it fixed.

And I do mean return it, get a refund, and then purchase the replacement. You want a clean receipt to go with your new printer, clean as in with a good date and nothing else on it.

If my post resolves your issue please click the accepted as solution button under it.

To thank a Tech for a post click the thumbs up button under the post.

You can even click both buttons. . .

If my post resolves your issue please click the accepted as solution button under it.

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14
HP Recommended

Hi @Kape,

Welcome to the HP Support Forums! I read your post and see that you are getting horizontal lines on the page when printing from the computer and the self tests. I will certainly do my best to help you. If this helps you to reach a solution, please click the "Accept as Solution" button down below in this message. If you wish to say thanks for my effort to help, click the " Thumbs Up " to give me a Kudos. :generic:

Make sure the printer is connected directly to a wall outlet. (don't use a power hub or a surge protector) This ensures the printer is receiving full power and may help this situation.

Please try these steps to see if it will help resolve the issue, HP Color LaserJet Pro M252, M274, M277 Printers - Fixing Poor Print Quality.

Here are some additional steps to try.

Print a Print Quality Page to see if it is a toner or hardware issue:

1.From the Home screen, touch the Setup button.
2.Touch the Reports button.
3.Touch the Print Quality Page button.
This page contains five bands of color, which are divided into four groups. By examining each group, you can isolate the problem to a particular toner cartridge.
1 Yellow
2 Cyan
3 Black
4 Magenta

Calibrate the printer:
1. On the product control panel, touch the Setup button.
2. Open the following menus:
● System Setup
● Print Quality
● Color Calibration
● Calibrate Now
3. A Calibrating message will display on the product control panel. The calibration process takes a few
minutes to complete. Do not turn the product off until the calibration process has finished.
4. Wait while the product calibrates, and then try printing again.

Print and interpret the print quality page:
1. From the Home screen, touch the Setup button.
2. Touch the Reports button.
3. Touch the Print Quality Page button.

m277 print quality pic.png

If there is anything else I can help you with, just let me know. Thank you.

Gemini02

I work on behalf of HP

Click the Thumbs Up below to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

I can see the lines and they are not normal for any laser printer that HP makes.

I would suggest trying some different solid color pages that mix colors like a green page, and maybe a red page.

You might also see the problem in the print quality pages that were mentioned by the previous poster.

You just need to get something where support can see you have a problem and then be insistent that they fix it.

But let's be practical here, you bought it less than two weeks ago, return it and get another, it's probably only a defective toner cartridge but you shouldn't be having to fight HP support to get it fixed.

And I do mean return it, get a refund, and then purchase the replacement. You want a clean receipt to go with your new printer, clean as in with a good date and nothing else on it.

HP Recommended

None of the above suggested by Gemini02 helped. Its hard to tell which toner cartridge exactly produces this problem by looking at print quality page as these lines are only seen good on a solid photo.

At first I was offered a replacement by HP customer support (by DOA procedure), but today they called me and asked if it was okay to just send me new magenta cartridge as they think it may be the cause and it will be faster. But I am pretty sure it is also black cartridge (at least):

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ztk3paa9p0lzqx6/IMG_1430_1.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/205n8ihac2w3by4/IMG_1431.JPG?dl=0

I also get spills of blue toner. So I think I will insist on replacement of the whole printer then.

HP Recommended
They will probably try to send you a refurbished printer. I would advise you to be absolutely sure they're sending you a new machine.

HP Recommended

HP support is acting weird now. First they said they would replace printer for a new unit by DOA procedure, and asked me to contact shop, where I purchased printer, but only after they contact it themselves to explain the DOA procedure.

Later they called me and proposed to send new cartridges as they were sure, it is the cause and it will be faster. We agreed on that one.

Now they've called me again and said they would send me only cyan cartridge (mind that i spent 20-30% of all cartridges to print different examples of the defect to send them by email).

They also said that if that wouldn't work, they would replace whole printer as it may be possible that cartridge is not the cause of the defect. They said it would be a new printer, but may be a refurbished... (??)

But if I write a complaint letter to the shop and they register it, then they will replace the printer for a NEW unit by DOA....

I am disappointed as this all is taking too long and they change their mind too often.

HP Recommended

Most places will accept a return on electronics if you have had it less than 30 days.

So you may be able to return it and then but a new replacement.

Did you buy it from a major chain? (Like Staples)

HP Recommended

I bought it from a local internet shop.

They only accept returns 15 days after purchase. But I didn't have a chance to try new printer after purchase for the first two weeks.

Now I can either send it to the shop for repair or (as stated many times by HP support) send it to the shop using the DOA procedure with the help of HP which is valid for 30 days.

But until now they were not very fast with this procedure and instead they sent me new cartiridge.

For some reason I cant send printer directly to HP by DOA. I must first send it to the shop, they will investigate the problem for about 30 days, and only then I can exchange it for a new one.

HP Recommended

Received new blue cartridge from HP. It doesnt't help, though i told them before, that I had the same problem with black and white printing so changing only blue cartridge wouldn't help.

Troubles continue, no help so far. Two months passed.

I fount that other HP printers have repetitive defect rulers and troubleshooting manuals which are very detailed. Considering that this defect is repeated every 22,5 mm it must be very easy for them to tell what is the problem with.

But they say the don't know for sure... It shows very low level of local HP support and technical knowledge, unfortunately.

I hope HP releases troubleshooting manual with repetetive defect rulers for m277dw soon.

HP Recommended
Have you tried a Google search for M277 Troubleshooting Manual?

HP does not release printer service manuals.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.