Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Purchased new HP 4500 Envy (Cwhich wouldn't print black at all with catridges provided).

Bought new replacement black cartridge.  I now get black with horizontal streaks.  [Note it's rubbish for cartridge in box didn't work].

I have tried all the various test pages, realigning print heads, upping the paper quality, switching on and off, taking out and reinserting cardridges, etc and have reviewed this page in detail [ http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03748920

I still continue to get horizontal streaks with black text where I seem to be missing about one line in every 3 or 4.  

I have checked printer settings (everyday printing should be fine, but isn't)

Ink levels are fine - new.  [Mind you they were fine/full in the cartridge that came with printer too, but that didn't work at all]

Print Qual Diag report - this looks ok - no streaks to be seen. 

PRint alignments - looks okish, but I get message saying alignment failed every time.  [Now used papges and pages of paper and lots of ink doing this.... No progress, and repeating yet again doesn't seem to change outcome here, so giving this up - very wasteful and doesn't solve problem]

Clean print head - most black text appears, but a few lines missing or half missing.  [Ditto re repeating this doesn't seem to help resolve]

I am now at end of step 4.  This says if my problems are solved I can stop trouble shooting.

IT DOES NOT, HOWEVER, SUGGEST WHAT TO DO IF MY PROBLEMS ARE NOT SOLVED.

When I print ordinary documents - we MS word, emails, or from web again I am missing some lines or parts of lines (where tops or bottoms of letters have been sliced off).  This is poor.

I HAVE NOW WASTED MANY HOURS, LOTS OF PAPER AND LOTS OF INK.

PROBLEM NOT RESOLVED.  PLEASE CAN YOU FIX IT?

MY HEART NOT FULL OF JOY ABOUT HAVING THIS HASSLE EVERY TIME A NEW CARTRIDGE IS FIXED INTO PRINTER.  

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi jules878,

I would suggest that you return the cartridges to where you purchased them or if your printer is still in warranty (you can check here) contact HP support directly. Contact details for indivudal countries can be found here.

Alternatively I will try help you troubleshoot your issue. Would it be possible for you to send me an example of the print defect that you are seeing?

Many Thanks,

Francheska

Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.
HP Recommended

Hello jules878,

Welcome to the HP Forums.

Sorry to hear that you are having issues when attempting to print in black ink.  I see that you have gone and went through the one document on Fixing Ink Streak. That document may not be the one that is geared entirely to the issue at hand.

I suggest that you first make sure that you have the printer power cable connected directly to a wall outlet and not a power bar/strip. Here is a document that uses a LaserJet printer as an example but it is meant for HP products in general. Please click on the following link that explains the Issues when Connected to an Uninterruptible Power Supply/Power Strip/Surge Protector.

Having the power cable in a power bar/strip can cause issues with the display being dim or paper feed issues as well as issues with the Ink Delivery System. 

Here is another document that I believe is more geared to the issue that you are experiencing.  Please click the following link for when the Printer Does Not Print Black Ink or Color Ink, or Prints Blank Pages.  Some steps will be the same but you will quickly see that the document does cover alternative measures.

If the troubleshooting does not help resolve your issue, I would then suggest calling HP's Technical Support to see about further options for you. If you are calling within North America, the number is 1-800-474-6836 and for all other regions, click here: click here.

Thank you for your time.

Cheers,   Smiley Happy

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" at the bottom of this post to say “Thanks” for helping!
Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

W a t e r b o y 71
I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

@jules878 

Just checking this is now resolved?

Thanks

Ciara

I am speaking for myself and not for HP. Twitter: @Ciara_B_27
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.