Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I am trying to print using the black and white cartridge only because magenta is out of ink but I'm getting the following error message in HP Photosmart C7200 series print dialog:

The printer is out of ink.

The following ink cartridges are empty: Magenta. Replace these ink cartridges to resume printing.

How can I print with the black and white cartridge only?

Mac OSX 10.7.3
HP Photosmart C7280 (7200 series)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

Unfortunately It is not possible to print using the black and white while any of the ink cartridges are empty.

Using the Black ink only possible while there is color ink as well.

While the color ink is not required for prinitng purposes, it do required for ,maintnance operations of the device.

As the device contain an internal printhead (IIC system), lack of color ink will damage the printing system shortly. Therefore the device will not be functional when there is no ink in order to avoid damaging the system.

For users who wish to print using just black ink (despite the reduced print quality), many HP printers offer options. For example, a driver colour setting (by selecting "print in greyscale with the black cartridge only" in printing preferences) specifies printing using only black ink. In addition, many IPH printers can operate in "reserve mode", which allows the user to continue to print with just the black cartridge when the colour cartridge is removed or not installed.In HP IIC systems, all supplies are required to be installed in the printer for the printer to function

(Source: http://h10060.www1.hp.com/pageyield/en-150/articles/howInkIsUsed.html?cCode=il)

Regards,

Shlomi

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hi,

Unfortunately It is not possible to print using the black and white while any of the ink cartridges are empty.

Using the Black ink only possible while there is color ink as well.

While the color ink is not required for prinitng purposes, it do required for ,maintnance operations of the device.

As the device contain an internal printhead (IIC system), lack of color ink will damage the printing system shortly. Therefore the device will not be functional when there is no ink in order to avoid damaging the system.

For users who wish to print using just black ink (despite the reduced print quality), many HP printers offer options. For example, a driver colour setting (by selecting "print in greyscale with the black cartridge only" in printing preferences) specifies printing using only black ink. In addition, many IPH printers can operate in "reserve mode", which allows the user to continue to print with just the black cartridge when the colour cartridge is removed or not installed.In HP IIC systems, all supplies are required to be installed in the printer for the printer to function

(Source: http://h10060.www1.hp.com/pageyield/en-150/articles/howInkIsUsed.html?cCode=il)

Regards,

Shlomi

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂
HP Recommended

I am absolutely disgusted by this; clearly a scam from HP to make more money by selling extra ink cartridges!!  I will make sure to never buy any products from the shoddy rip off merchants at HP ever again!!

You should be ashamed!!

HP Recommended

Are you serious???

I have to have ink in ALL CARTRIDGES to print only in B/W? That seems utterly anti-intuitive, and why make some "IIC yadda yadda" technology that requires unnecessary ink colors to print in black/white?

I can't understand why this is the case.

I want to know ONE thing, please:

If I go out and buy MAGENTA ink (currently depleted) and THEN I change my settings to "grayscale," will I then be able to print using the black cartridge ONLY?  Will the other cartridges continue to deplete? Will I have to eventually go out and buy one of the other colors again? Please someone from HP explain this really unsual and frustrating problem to your users in a thorough and highlighted answer?

HP Recommended

Right you tossers - this is crap - after allowing for a low usage on magneta cartridge to run past it's 'expired' date finally the machine completely refuses to run - just when I need it urgently for a B&W doc.

Funny that the cartridge when dismantled has plenty on ink all over my hands for proof.

Don't give us that IIC crap - I'm an engineer and it's easy to clean out or replace the print mechanism - and if I want to stuff up the color conduits that's my problem.

Rip off merchants - get stuffed you corporate sh*t bags!

Bet you think you are commercially clever - losers!

HP Recommended

I'm only signing in this one time to tell you of my dissapointment in having to buy color ink for my 6280 which I will try to get $10 bucks on Craig's list so I do not have to pay to get rid of it. I'm done with HP, goodbye.

HP Recommended

It gets worse than that, actually. Not only can you not print in B&W when a color cartridge is low, PRINTING IN B&W DEPLETES THE COLOR CARTRIDGES! I rarely print in color and in fact know that there was ink in the magenta cartridge and have not printed in color since, yet now the cartridge is depleted. So it really is a disgusting scam. Shame.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.