Question

Tutor
newage
Message 1 of 11 (19,837 Views)
Accepted Solution

How do I clean the head on DeskJet 1000

Hello!

I have a HP DeskJet 1000. I need to clean the head, because I get horizontal streaks in printout. The HP Help refers to "Clean Ink Cartridges" in a menu called "Printer maintenance tasks" but I do not find such a menu.

Provost
erico
Message 2 of 11 (19,835 Views)

Re: How do I clean the head on DeskJet 1000

Welcome to the HP Forum! :smileyhappy:

newage wrote:

Hello!

I have a HP DeskJet 1000. I need to clean the head, because I get horizontal streaks in printout. The HP Help refers to "Clean Ink Cartridges" in a menu called "Printer maintenance tasks" but I do not find such a menu.

Open the user manual for your printer in a browser and see pages 27-28 for details on how to access the printer toolbox.

Kind regards,
erico

Help others by clicking on the "Accept As Solution" button if my suggestion resolves the issue you were having
****I am a volunteer, I don't work for Microsoft or HP****
You can say thanks by clicking on the Kudos thumbs up icon

2014 Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

Tutor
newage
Message 3 of 11 (19,833 Views)

"In the Printer Software, click Printer Actions and then click Maintenance
Tasks to access the Printer Toolbox."

What is considered Printer software? Because the only software that installs under XP is a plain printer driver, nothing else.

Provost
erico
Message 4 of 11 (19,829 Views)

You should install the full feature software that is available at your printer's web support portal for download.  It should have also been on the disc that your printer had in its box. 

Best regards,

erico

Help others by clicking on the "Accept As Solution" button if my suggestion resolves the issue you were having

Tutor
newage
Message 5 of 11 (19,827 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hello!

That was the first thing to do after I could not clean the printer head. I did download and install the full feature software DJ1000_J110_231.exe and this is what I get on the install screen:

pic1.png

You can see that even though it is supposed to be a Full feature version it installs a "Basic device software". After full installation I have these installed:

unistall menu

In the Programs/HP I have the following shortcuts:

shortcuts

Clicking the "HP Deskjet 1000 J110 series" opens the following menu:

pic5.png

However no sign of "Printer software" menu. Clicking on "See What's Printing" opens a basic dialogue
pic6.png

and clicking on "Customise Your Printer" opens the windows driver menu

pic7.png

with no sign of Printer Software or head cleaning.

You might think it is the "Printer Setup & Software" shortcut but this is what it opens:

Printer Setup & Software

no sign of Printer Software or head cleaning either.

Maybe I do something wrong you tell me, but I can't see what is refered to in the HP Help.

Master's Graduate
kawaii_aoi
Message 6 of 11 (19,807 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi newage,

Don't you have maintenance tasks on printer actions?

1. Open the HP product software:
  2. Windows XP: Click Start ( ), click All Programs , click HP , click the folder for your HP product, and then click the icon for your HP product ( ).
  3. Windows Vista or Windows 7: Click the Windows icon ( ), click All Programs , click HP , click the folder for your HP product, and then click the icon for your HP product ( ).
  4. NOTE:You can also open the HP product software from your computer desktop: double-click the icon for your HP product ( ). The product software opens.
  5. In the product software, double-click Printer Actions ( ).
  6. Double-click Maintenance Tasks ( ). The HP Toolbox opens.
  7. Click the Device Services tab.
  8. Click Clean Ink Cartridges , and then follow the on-screen instructions to clean the cartridges.
  9. After running the tool, click Print to print a test page. If the print quality is still unacceptable, follow the on-screen instructions to run a Second-level clean .
  10. If you wish to align the printer cartridges, it's also the same. Cartridge alignment is vital as this will calibrate newly installed inks to produce high-quality output everytime.
  11. Click the Device Services tab, and then click Align Ink Cartridges . The product aligns the cartridges, and then prints an alignment page.

Hope this works for you!
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Cheers! :smileyhappy:

* If this post has helped you, the White Kudos star on the left is a great way to say thanks!
* Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem so other users can benefit as well.
Tutor
newage
Message 7 of 11 (19,796 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi!

When I click on the icon"HP Deskjet 1000 J110 series" in the HP menu I get this:

pic5.png

Now that you told me I clicked twice on Printer Actions and - HALLELUIAH - here it is, the Maintenance tasks menu.

I would never think that it is clickable item, since nothing shows it - a mouse over cursor  or color change so people would know they can click on it. Is HP software is ever tested by normal people, not programmers?

I noticed that HP has not the slightest intention to get feed back from users - any my attempt to get in touch and leave a suggestion failed. This forum is the only option left to users, and from what I see no HP personnal is answering here.

Anyway, thanks for your help! I previously called the HP customer support twice and they could not tell anything about this menu. I read the HELP and the manual but there was nothing on how to get to the menu.

I I've been working under Windows for 20 years and could not find the maintenance menu, imagine a new user trying to do this...

I am really disappointed by the HP customer support incapability.

Provost
erico
Message 8 of 11 (19,786 Views)

I asked HP about that. The software you installed is what provides the tool box that you are now able to open.

Best regards,

erico

Master's Graduate
kawaii_aoi
Message 9 of 11 (19,758 Views)

Hi again!

Sorry to hear about the menu and HP's assistance on your issue, but I'm really glad that it's working for you now! Feel free to visit the forums again!
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Cheers! :smileyhappy:

* If this post has helped you, the White Kudos star on the left is a great way to say thanks!
* Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem so other users can benefit as well.
Tutor
newage
Message 10 of 11 (19,750 Views)

How can I get in touch with HP and tell them to fix that menu? I am sure there are others who won't find this cleaning tool.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation