Question

Honor Student
CharlotteT
Message 1 of 12 (5,305 Views)

How do I get my printer to print after installing a non-HP cartridge? The job is on hold.

After installing a new ink cartridge and aligning it (which included printing) my HP Photosmart 5510 printer will not let me resume printing a job because it is a non-HP ink cartridge.  I am using a Mac with OS X v. 10.5.8.

Intern
imustknowitall
Message 2 of 12 (5,303 Views)

Re: How do I get my printer to print after installing a non-HP cartridge? The job is on hold.

i'm not good with mac.. but if you're trying to resume a print job.. and it's not printing.. have you already cleared the print qeueu? when print jobs get stuck in there the printer doesn't proceed with anything.

Honor Student
CharlotteT
Message 3 of 12 (5,301 Views)

Re: How do I get my printer to print after installing a non-HP cartridge? The job is on hold.

The reason it won't print is that HP has it on hold. The printer is on-line. It is ready to print. There is no other job in line. The printer message says that there is a Non-HP cartridge installed and that it cannot guarantee the quality, etc. If I could get it out of hold it would work.
Intern
imustknowitall
Message 4 of 12 (5,300 Views)

I see, so that was the error message.. I guess that's what's in the front panel..?

Isn't there any prompts on the display? Like an OK or an END button? I thought that would just be a disclaimer.

Honor Student
CharlotteT
Message 5 of 12 (5,298 Views)

I can find no way to remove the message.
Intern
imustknowitall
Message 6 of 12 (5,297 Views)

If even the Home and Back icon is not lit up..Open the catridge access door and see if the error message changes.

Also, try unplugging the printer from the power source while it's on to reset it.

Honor Student
CharlotteT
Message 7 of 12 (5,296 Views)

doesn't change it. I think HP is going to have to do or fix something.
Honor Student
deanflory
Message 8 of 12 (5,044 Views)

[ Edited ]

I just installed some non-HP ink cartridges into my parent's printer of a different model than yours but HP. I too have found that as soon as non-HP ink cartridges are installed, I can no longer get any document to print other than print aligns, clean printheads and other HP tests.

It is clear that HP is evil and thus prevents you from using your printer and ink when not giving them more money for ink every time. I find this repulsive. This printer worked perfectly fine before and all tests print fine, so it is obvious that HP will not let you use your printer once a non-HP ink cartridge is installed. I'm pretty sure this type of thing is illegal in the USA.

Note that my attempts to print a web page are not on hold. The printer is not paused. The printing process simply never makes the printer even attempt to print the page or bring up the normal "is Printing" message on the printer's touch screen. It is a software block and is not a technical issue with a connection to the printer. I've restarted printer, Mac, cable modem, wifi router, printer unplugged, printer off and mac off again, to no avail. Pretty sure this will prevent me from buying an HP printer ever again, simply unjustified, greedy and a complete waste of my 3 hours now.

Student
CharThue
Message 9 of 12 (5,031 Views)

HP finally sent me a printer update which allowed me to use the non-HP cartridge.  Since then I have bought only HP cartridges, but...do I ever want to buy an HP printer again?

Also, when signing in, they would not allow me to use the same name as I did for the original post.  I could sign in OK, but had to pick a different screen name.  How annoying!

Student
Dougie15
Message 10 of 12 (5,005 Views)

I have installed an JET TEC H337 cartridge, in aligned and printed a few pages, it then ceased to function with the message on screen, ink cartidge problem, remove and check cartridge on right.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation