Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

How do I print using only Black Ink on an HP Photosmart 3210 All-in-one printer when there is one color cartridge empty? It is now saying two are expired.  I only have one empty color cartridge. One of the expired cartridges is NEW and FULL and the other is about 1/3 full and is as old as the other cartridges that are not expired.  All I want to do is print 10 pages in black ink, immediately.  Why is ther no work around on this?  The black ink is full and not expired.  HP this needs a fix ASAP.  Never had problems like this with your other HP printers, they may have starting smoking but they printed in just black when you wanted them to.  What if I want to use this printer as BLACK ink only?  Are there dummie cartridges?

PLEASE HELP FAST!  VERY FRUSTRATED!

Using Windows 7 System.

35 REPLIES 35
HP Recommended

Hi,

You cant as the printer will not alloow this.

This type of printer is designed for high quality picture printing, and uses a non replaceble high quality printhead. Drawback of this system is that it needs ink to be in the system to maintain itself.

When 1 or more cartridge are empty or expired it will block prinintg to prevent air or debris from expired ink, getting in to the printhead, whihc would destroy the printhead making the printer useless.

As for using the printer as a black ink printer only, this wont work as the printer is just not designed for it, the qualitry of black ink only would not be good, as this printer uses dye based inkt that is best suited for picture printing, but tends to be a little pale when using it for text printing when compared to a printer that uses pigment based inkt, like most text printers.

Say "Thanks" by clicking the Kudos Star in the post that helped you.

Although I work for HP my posts and replies are my own

Please mark the post that solves your problem as "Accepted Solution"

HP Recommended

I bought a high quality All-In-One expecting it to be capable of basic black ink printing as well.  I understand your explanation, however see it as a terrible design flaw as it should be able to print in basic black ink.  I used to do this on my other HP all-in-one.  What can I do about my Full ink cartridge that I just installed a couple weeks ago that now says is expired?  It is a genuine HP cartridge.  I see no reasonable need to replace it at this time.  I plan on replacing the empty cartridge, but trying not to write blank cheques to HP.

HP Recommended

Hi,

Its possible to print basic black, so its not a design flaw, it just needs good cartridges.

Regarding the new cartridges being flagged as expired, pull it out and check the date on it. If the date on it is not expired call your local support number cause the cartridges come with their own warranty.

HP Recommended

So just to be clear. In order to print in just BLACK ink I MUST have all color cartridges with ink and not expired?  This is a bit silly I think.  So the numbers on the cartridge are 2010 08/12 C8734W.  I bought these cartridges a bit ago but this specific one just came out of the sealed package two weeks ago and has barely been used, still says FULL.  Should these cartridges not have a life span that begins from install date?  If I have to treat every cartridge I buy like Milk then please clearly indicate this at POP in stores.  Ridiculus money grab.  Is there anything HP is willing to do to meet very poorly informed customers halfway so they don't feel like they are being taken advantage of?  I have always enjoyed HP printer products and don't want to have to buy something else next time. 

What can be done to make this a GREAT CUSTOMER SERVICE EXPERIENCE?

HP Recommended

Forgot to mention my BLACK cartridge is not saying epired and is 2/3 full.  Numbers on this cartridge are 2010 09/30 C8719.

HP Recommended

To further my point I had installed two color cartridges at the same time.  One was light magenta with 2010 08/12 C8734W and the other was light cyan with 2010 09/11 C8733W.  Both were out of the same new packaging and both were installed at the same time.  Both are FULL and only the light magenta is saying it is expired but the light cyan is completely functional. 

HP Recommended

HI,

Keep in mind there is not much I can do from a distance. Bit as far as I can see all your cartrdiges are pretty old as the all have date in 2010. I am afraid they all need to be replaced, but cannot guerantee it will work. There might be something wrong with the printer itself, but that is difficult to say from here. Sorry to have to be the carrier of bad news. Only thing i would be able to suggest at the moment is calling your local support  to see if there is anything they can do.

HP Recommended

I currently have an all-in-one HP which requires 5 different cartridges: regular black, photo black, red, blue and yellow only because someone gave it to me as a gift after 5 of my perfectly functional Lexmark printers were stolen.  

It's a money-extracting greedy motive on the part of Hewlett Packard to make your printer non-functional if only one of the cartridges is empty.  HP's answer is BALONEY that the printer will be destroyed unless this is the case because two other brands I've used did not shut down operation unless all of the cartridges were empty.

I have had nothing but bad functionality with a total of 6 prior HP products including two printer-FAX combos, a portable printer, 3 regular printers.  I'd sworn off HP forever and necessity--the present from a friend after all my office equipment was stolen--is the sole reason I have one now.

I spend a fortune on ink for this wretched all-in-one HP.

HP Recommended

BAH HUMBUG on your reply that it will destroy the printer if it were designed to print if one or more, but not all, cartridges were empty.  I've had other multiple color cartridge brand printers that worked.

It's just a money-grubbing tactic on the part of Hewlett Packard.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.