Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hey Expert,

what is your best HP printer that will work with only one cartridge (black) and will print me around 2000 pages (b/w) with just one cartridge? I need something bellow 200$ for the printer and it's color will cost around 20-30$. Any idea, expert?

Thanks

HP Recommended
@emilianoq, The printer that comes the closet to your request would be the Laserjet P1102w. It retails for under $200 and just does black and white printing with a black toner cartridge. Its page counts can vary but the standard is 1600. Here is a link to that printer if you would like to review the specs in greater detail: http://goo.gl/RRo6i.

I hope this helps.
I am a former employee of HP...
How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved?
HP Recommended

I have a HP Office jet 6500  E709 printer. I wnat to printwith black ink, at times. How can I do this? Thank ypu!!

HP Recommended

you can not they made so use will always have to buy color ink as well asblack..try to return it if you can..

HP Recommended
@ soconapp - You should be able to open the Devices and Printers page. Right click on the name of the printer, the E709, and select Printing Preferences. Select the Advanced option and set Grayscale to Black Ink Only.

Even set to print in grayscale (black ink), the printer will still use a small amount of color under the black to ensure a long lasting printout. Also, the unit will still require the color cartridges to be present and have available ink to function.

Hope this helps.
-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------

I am not an HP employee.
HP Recommended

How do I print using only Black Ink on an HP Photosmart 3210 All-in-one printer when there is one color cartridge empty? It is now saying two are expired.  I only have one empty color cartridge. One of the expired cartridges is NEW and FULL and the other is about 1/3 full and is as old as the other cartridges that are not expired.  All I want to do is print 12 pages in black ink, immediately.  Why is ther no work around on this?  The black ink is full and not expired.  HP this needs a fix ASAP.  Never had problems like this with your other HP printers, they may have starting smoking but they printed in just black when you wanted them to.  What if I want to use this printer as BLACK ink only?  Are there dummie cartridges?

PLEASE HELP FAST!  VERY FRUSTRATED!

HP Recommended

@KONDA, you will not be able to print just black if the color cartridges are empty. 

The reason for this is because when you print in black the HP unit will pull color into the printout for print quality reasons. The printer doesn't look for a huge amount of ink during the printout, but when you're completely out of ink this issue will appear. 

Again, this is to enhance the quality of the printout of the document. I hope you guys understand the response and if you have any more questions please let me know. 
HP Recommended

My message to HP, Canon and all the other scamsters who design printers so that I can't simply use black ink for black and white documents, so you can continue to leech my wallet for color I don't need:  I have long stopped buying your printers. I can walk to my local UPS, Office Depot, or Fedex store and use their's whenever I need documents. The very idea of mixing expensive color cartridges to make "black" for simple documents that DON'T require color or photo quality is idiotic. Good riddance.  One less sheep for you to fleece.

HP Recommended

"The reason for this is because when you print in black the HP unit will pull color into the printout for print quality reasons. The printer doesn't look for a huge amount of ink during the printout, but when you're completely out of ink this issue will appear. 

Again, this is to enhance the quality of the printout of the document.  ... I work for HP."

There is only so much you can do to "enhance the quality" of a B&W document that doesn't require photo or graphics qualities.  Your explanation is ludicrous, and a response that I'd expect to hear from someone who works for HP.  I suppose I'd be spewing this too if I wanted to preserve my job there.  Again, this is why I will never buy another printer from you or your competitors again and will outsource my document printing to services such as Fedex or Office Depot.  After talking to others who've been in the business that I'm starting at these places, I realize that I'm not alone on this.

HP Recommended

I would not have bought this printer either had I known I couldn't print with the black cartridge only. A very important detail left out of the sale. I don't print in color very often, and so the color cartridges expire or dry up and then have to be bought new all over again, while printing with the black only would be fine. I'm certainly inclined to believe this:

"It's a money-extracting greedy motive on the part of Hewlett Packard to make your printer non-functional if only one of the cartridges is empty."

Buyer beware, HP is up to some tricky stuff.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.