Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

Trying to set default on both Mac and Windows 7 to b&w

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Your user manual states "For grayscale printing, your printer must have a black print cartridge installed. If a tricolor print cartridge is installed, remove it so that only the black print cartridge remains in the print cartridge cradle. Be sure to store the tri-color print cartridge properly".

That is a direct excerpt from your user manual, which does not have page numbers. If you which to look at the information. click on the link, let the manual load, and then type Ctrl then F, that will bring up a search bar at the top of the page. Type in "changing default settings" and it will be one of two hits. Scroll down from checking the default settings instructions and the above quote will be on the next page under the title "Printing in Grayscale", I hope that this helps.

I am a former employee of HP...
How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved?

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Your user manual states "For grayscale printing, your printer must have a black print cartridge installed. If a tricolor print cartridge is installed, remove it so that only the black print cartridge remains in the print cartridge cradle. Be sure to store the tri-color print cartridge properly".

That is a direct excerpt from your user manual, which does not have page numbers. If you which to look at the information. click on the link, let the manual load, and then type Ctrl then F, that will bring up a search bar at the top of the page. Type in "changing default settings" and it will be one of two hits. Scroll down from checking the default settings instructions and the above quote will be on the next page under the title "Printing in Grayscale", I hope that this helps.

I am a former employee of HP...
How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved?
HP Recommended

MY PRINTE IS A 3522 IT HAS 4 CARTRIDGES

HP Recommended

I have a HP3520 and am fed up of having to replace ALL the cartridges 4 in all when i am only using blackprinting. I cannot remove the 3 colour cartridges because i am then shown error  saying missing cartridges and the printer then wont work.

HP Recommended

9999 1582

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.