Question

Honor Student
Skymom
Message 1 of 11 (7,534 Views)

How to override cartridge empty message and continue printing on Officejet Pro 8600

Hi,

I'm setting up a new OfficeJet Pro 8600 printer for my parents.  On my HP color laser printer I am able to override the setting where the printer stops printing because it hit a date or page quantity.  My parents don't print complex, color documents often, so I want to override this setting on the OfficeJet Pro 8600.  I can't find any documentation on how to do this on this particular model.  Is there a series of steps via the touch panel on the printer?  I tried the web interface but didn't find the setting to continue, and I don't know if I also have to set the override on the printer itself.  Thank you in advance, I want to make sure my senior citizen parents get the most out of their ink cartridge investment.

They are on Windows 7, if that matters..

Thank you in advance for any and all help!

Paula

Professor
Daniel_L
Message 2 of 11 (7,507 Views)

Re: How to override cartridge empty message and continue printing on Officejet Pro 8600

Hey skymom,

On this model there is not a way to override an empty cartridge message other than replacing the empty catridge. Do tests still show that there is a usable amount of ink?

Any additional info would be great. Thanks!

Help the community by marking this post as a solution if it solved your issue!.

If my post helped you in any way, please click the blue KUDOS star under my name! It would mean a great deal. :smileyhappy:

Honor Student
Skymom
Message 3 of 11 (7,500 Views)

Re: How to override cartridge empty message and continue printing on Officejet Pro 8600

Hi, thank you for responding on this.  They just installed the cartridges, so they still have plenty of ink.  I was trying to proactively prevent it from stopping, so that they could continue printing until they saw actual degradation in print quality.  If they get an empty message and see that there is still ink in the cartridge, is there anything that they can do then? 

(Note that they are elderly, not computer savvy, and 90 minutes away from me.  I want to minimize their computer angst, and let them replace the cartridges (which they are able to do) based on their judgement.)

Thank you again!

Paula

Professor
Daniel_L
Message 4 of 11 (7,492 Views)

The cartridges have an included warranty. If the cartridges report that they are empty to the printer but still have ink available, and are within warranty I would contact HP support for your region. You can provide this information to your parents or you can utilize it for your own needs if you see fit. :smileyhappy:

800-474-6836

If you live outside the US/Canada Region please click the link below to get the support number for your region.

http://www.hp.com/cgi-bin/hpsupport/index.pl

Help the community by marking this post as a solution if it solved your issue!.

If my post helped you in any way, please click the blue KUDOS star under my name! It would mean a great deal. :smileyhappy:

Student
CANDAUINC
Message 5 of 11 (6,840 Views)

Why is the printer still using color even when "only use black ink" has been selected in every setting possible?I don't need color. I don't want color. I'm telling the printer to print in black and white yet it still uses color. It seems like a scam to make your uses buy color ink. If there's no way to fix this not only will I share my frustration with all of my contacts I will never buy another one of your products!

Regents Professor
lions99
Message 6 of 11 (6,836 Views)

@CANDAUINC, unfortunately this is the way the printer is made. The unit will use colors in every document you print. The reason for this is because of print quality, no matter if you print all black you will see a decrease in the color cartridge because a little bit of each color will be added to enhance the print quality of the document. 

Also, remember if you find any of my post helpful or want to say thanks make sure to click the white star under my name to give me Kudos.

I really appreciate it!

Thanks! :smileyhappy:

Student
papamike69
Message 7 of 11 (6,394 Views)

I sure wish I knew that there was no way to override the Office jet Pro 8600 printer if there is an empty ink cartridge before I bought it. I also wish I knew that the color is always on by default and even if I only want to print in Black ink the color still prints. It is a waist and not cost effective at all for me. I print in Black ink 90% of the time yet the color ink runs out and I end up having to replace it just so i can continue printing in Black. A very bad design if you ask me.  If I had of know about this issue I would not have gotten the Ofice jet Pro 8600... 

Student
Trashout42
Message 8 of 11 (4,096 Views)

Seriously...this is ridiculous!.. I can't print out my work orders for tomorrow, because I am out of yellow ink!..WOW.....I only use black ink, also. I am enraged that I have a full cartridge of black ink, yet am not allowed to print, so I must go to the store, two towns away, that sells this ink, to buy a $35.00 yellow ink cartridge, which I do not use willfully......, just to print out my work orders for the day! Talk about a setback, I have a full days work without this headache, tomorrow. This is deffinately not an Officejet PRO..It's an Officejet CON!!!! All of my friends, family, and colleags will be for-warned of this scam from HP. This is not right at all, not to mention, I tried calling HP Tech Support, and was on hold for an hour before I just hung up.II hope someone is reading this affiliated with HP, and if you are.....Shove it where the sun don't shine, ya greedy con-artist **bleep**s!

Honor Student
smartlady1966
Message 9 of 11 (3,894 Views)

i had the problem that my black ink ran out so I went to store and got black ink.  Came home, would not print, said yellow ink was out, was  not out before I got my black, so back to store put yellow in adn guess what,  Y EP  now says I need red......  If I needed all of them not sure owhy it did not say so in beginning and why it showed all the colors had ink until I put black in. 

Student
tilleyp29
Message 10 of 11 (3,365 Views)

I am very disappointed in this operation.  I have to print out B&W document and I can't because cyan is out.   Documents, even color were printing fine.  I am in the market for a Windows laptop and I will not buy an HP computer.  I will not buy an HP printer again either.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation