Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hello everyone

Have you ever received the "Incompatible Print Cartridge" message? This can be caused by defective cartridges, dirty cartridge contacts, or using the wrong cartridges for your printer or region. If you get this message after moving to a different country and using a different HP ink you will need to call HP support and have them explain how to change the region of your printer.

If, however, you have not moved and you are getting this message with a new or current cartridge there is quite a bit of troubleshooting that can be done. There is both an article and youtube video to help you through resolving this issue They are both excellent tools to help with troubleshooting. If the steps don't resolve your issue make sure to try a different cartridges as this helps isolate the issue to the printer or the cartridge.

The 'Incompatible Cartridge', 'Incorrect Print Cartridge', or 'Print Cartridge Problem' Message Disp...

Fix an "Incompatible Print Cartridge" Message - HP Officejet J4680 All-in-One Printer

Don't forgot to say thanks by giving "Kudos" to those that help solve your problems.

When a solution is found please mark the post that solves your issue.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

If anyone has any questions let me know and I will be happy to help. The above video and article is for the Officejet J4680 but there are other version of the article for other printers that may have more cartridges than just two.

Don't forgot to say thanks by giving "Kudos" to those that help solve your problems.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
HP Recommended

If anyone has any questions let me know and I will be happy to help. The above video and article is for the Officejet J4680 but there are other version of the article for other printers that may have more cartridges than just two.

HP Recommended

My printer is an HP Photosmart 5510.  It will not accept my Cartridge World refills, but states I must replace all cartridges.  I have not had this problem in the past.  Is this something new with HP protectionism?  What is the workaround?  I must ask because I have never had this problem before.  I have already replaced the new cartridges I put in with a new set...same problem.

HP Recommended

Hi,  I bought an HP DeskJet 1000 - J110a in Costa Rica and purchased a high yield black  ink cartridge 61xln i the U.S.  The printer does not recognize it.  Can someone tell me how to make it recognizable?  Thanks so much

HP Recommended
Hello fireflyrev

First I would like to say that HP states "Yes, you can." to the question "Can I refill the ink in my HP ink Cartridges?", however, HP also asks the question "but do you want to?". A study by QualityLogic found that almost 1/6 refilled cartridges were Dead on Arrival (DOA) and 70% of refills they tested had some form of reliability problem.
Can I Refill The Ink In My HP Ink Cartridge?

As for some actual troubleshooting, try the following article. It is specific for the Photosmart 5510 in resolving ink cartridge compatible messages. Part of the troubleshooting is to try new Genuine HP ink to isolate the problem. 'Incompatible Ink Cartridge' or 'Indicated Ink Cartridge Must Be Replaced' Message Displays on the C...

Also, the error may be caused if the refills are using older generation cartridges, HP will replace Genuine HP cartridges if they are the older generation for the newer versions. 'Incompatible Older Generation Cartridge Installed' Message

Hello judybernham

In your case, you may be receiving the error message because you moved to a different country. When you change region your printer needs to have it's region reset. If you just bought the ink and it is in warranty you can call HP support and ask about resetting the region for your printer.

HP Recommended

I purchased HP printers deskjet 3050A and deskjet 1000 while schooling in London. They both use Hp catridge 301. Now I am back to Nigeria and purchased hp catridge 122 which is used for the same models here. But they show incompoatible catridges. What do I do to rectify this problem?

HP Recommended

@DAVIDAGBE wrote:

I purchased HP printers deskjet 3050A and deskjet 1000 while schooling in London. They both use Hp catridge 301. Now I am back to Nigeria and purchased hp catridge 122 which is used for the same models here. But they show incompoatible catridges. What do I do to rectify this problem?

You will need to Contact HP to request a "Regionalization Reset". There should not be any charge for this, it is covered as part of the cartridge warranty. You will need to have access to your computer and printer while on the line with HP. You will also need to have a set of cartridges for the new region, once the reset is complete cartridges from the original region will no longer work.  HP's web page on the subject is here.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

hp deskjet 3050 with original ink 61 black and 61 tri color that i just bought and its telling me incompatible, can i reset

or fix my problem like the other printer shown or do i have to go with another ink i see them telling me to buy ink 122.

i feel its a waste if ink and money if i have to do that and the stores are telling you that 61 is the right and original ink for 

the printer and still isn't working with it. need help please

HP Recommended

cosco have started refilling cartridges for hp 8500a office jet pro . i get repace damaged cartridge error message they have repced chip in cartridge  but it has made no diffrence any quick fixes 

HP Recommended

Hi shoeray,

I am sorry to hear that you are having issues with your ink cartridges. I have found some information for you in regards to refilled ink.

Please see: Can I Refill The Ink In My HP Ink Cartridge

I recommend using Genuine HP Ink cartridges.

I hope this helps 🙂

a i n b o w 7000

I work on behalf of HP

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" at the bottom of this post to say “Thanks” for helping!
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.