Question
I have a Photosmart 6510, I replaced all my ink cartridges but now it won't print or copy,
Replies (68)

Honor Student
webgeezer
Message 21 of 69 (5,973 Views)

Re: I have a Photosmart 6510, I replaced all my ink cartridges but now it won't print or copy,

Not sure if this has been mentioned.  My 6510 would not print black either.  I removed all the cartridges and it looked like the black screen that the ink flows through (on the print cartridge holder) was clean.  So I thought, "looks like the ink is not flowing".  On the top of the cartridge you can see a small depression in the label where the ink is filled into the cartidge.  I poked a small hole in it with a pin and then blew gently on the hole with the ink cartridge on a napkin.  Ink came out.  I replaced the cartridge and it is printing well now.  I think in my situation the vent channel on the top of the cartridge was blocked creating a vacuum.

Hope it helps somone!

Regents Professor
Travis_C
Message 22 of 69 (5,924 Views)

I have a Photosmart 6510, I replaced all my ink cartridges but now it won't print or copy,

Great advice webgeezer

If an ink cartridge is not properly vented it can cause problems such as not printing that color. Step three of the article "Troubleshooting Print Quality Issues" shows some pictures of what a clogged ink vent looks like. The article is also good to follow for any print quality problems with the Photosmart 6510.

Hopefully your advice helps others resolve their inability to print certain colors.
Don't forgot to say thanks by giving "Kudos" to those that help solve your problems.

When a solution is found please mark the post that solves your issue.
Top Student
Rhino983
Message 23 of 69 (5,900 Views)

Re: I have a Photosmart 6510, I replaced all my ink cartridges but now it won't print or copy,

:smileymad: Serious? HP replies by stating that the consumer should pay more attention to defects and not own up to their mistakes. This is exactly why customer service is terrible with this company. Every post has been ignored other than the single idea to poke holes in the cartridge. The consumer should not have to do cheap work arounds to get a product working. We paid a lot of money for a "qaulity product". Is this what HP does to keep their customer base? The internet is a fast word of mouth. Faster than what HP seems to relize. Thanks but no thanks.

Top Student
brassmanmike
Message 24 of 69 (5,882 Views)

I am having the same problem.  Did you find a solution?

Honor Student
webgeezer
Message 25 of 69 (5,782 Views)

One solution....

Try poking a small hole through the label on the top of the cartridge...it worked for me.

Top Student
brassmanmike
Message 26 of 69 (5,778 Views)

I agree, this is ridiculous.  HPs postings are full of problems with print cartridge and print head issues.  I will never buy HP again.

Honor Student
alskdjfaklds
Message 27 of 69 (5,619 Views)

Re: One solution....

Unfortuantely, poking the hole, gently blowing ink out and re-running all the other suggestions didn't work for me.  Printer is 13 months old, so out of warranty.  This was a bombproof machine til now.  There is something wrong in the design of this machine's printheads, I'll bet.  Looks like I'll take out a screwdriver and get further into the guts of this machine.  If I can figure out how to take out the unremovable print heads, soak them, and get it to work, I'll post how to do it.  Since HP doesn't seem to care.

Top Student
Rhino983
Message 28 of 69 (5,602 Views)

Please do if you find out. None of the "poking holes" method worked. And I agree with the bad design. In no way should ours have seized up after the first ink change. (And just to clairify, it did not sit, we changed it the day it ran out). :cathappy:

Honor Student
NotHappy100025
Message 29 of 69 (5,569 Views)

Thanks to all for the responses. This problem just happened to me this am. I bought a new Ink, HP and it decided not to work. I put a hole through it and this did not work. I took the old ink catridge to Cartridge world and had them refill my ink. They said that some of HP's ink catridges do not work with certain printers. (THANKS GRRR.) When I came back, the ink still did not work but I did "clean Printhead" on the printer and then the black ink worked? Hope this helps, as HP doesn't seem to!!

Student
spacey99
Message 30 of 69 (5,498 Views)

I am having the same problem with my HP 6510.  Only one difference, it is both the yellow and the black that will not print.  I have tried all of the previously mentioned solutions.  Nothing seems to work!!!  Printer was working fine until there was a paper jam, now nothing seems to work.  This is very frustrating.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation