Question

Honor Student
jsiegel
Message 1 of 3 (231 Views)
Accepted Solution

Ink Cartridge Depleted message

I tried to print something on my OfficeJet Pro 8600 Plus and I got a message that the ink cartridge was depleted and would have to be replaced for me to print anything.  But the last page I printed came out just fine, there was plenty of ink.

This seems ridiculous.  Why is HP deciding that I don't have enough ink left?  Why not leave that decision to the me?  If you want to warn the user that the print might not come out well, that's fine, but why isn't there a "print anyway" button?  That way, I could print until I, in my own opinion, think the cartridge needs to be replaced.  It sure seems like HP is doing this so that I have to buy a new ink cartridge faster.

Anyhow, I need to print something now and I can't wait until I can get to the office store and buy a new cartridge.  Is there any way I can fool the printer into printing anyway?  Or has HP just decided to make a task impossible for me, the customer?

Thanks for any help.

Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 2 of 3 (219 Views)

Re: Ink Cartridge Depleted message

The Officejet 8600 has separate ink supplies and printheads.  To prevent damage to the printhead ink is required, and the printer will block printing once the ink levels get too low.  See the document here for information on how ink is used.  The Officejet 8600 is an IIC printer in the vocabulary of that document.

Bob Headrick, Microsoft MVP Windows Expert - Consumer,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of Microsoft or HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button ------------V

If my answer was helpful please click the "Thumbs Up" to say "Thank You"--V

Honor Student
jsiegel
Message 3 of 3 (214 Views)

Re: Ink Cartridge Depleted message

OK, thanks, I guess that absolves HP of doing this just to make money by requiring users to buy cartridges faster.  So it's useful information.

Thanks.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation